-
netgear nic doesn't work kernel 2.6, does work kernel 2.4
setup:
DFI KM400-MLV mb
(Via KM400 + Via 8237)
AMD 2500+ Barton cpu
512MB DDR333 kingston
old cheap cdrw (memorex 4x2x24)
LG electronics DVD+/-RW + DVD-RAM --GSA4082B
Samsung SATA 120GB HDD SP1213C
onboard LAN and older Netgear 10/100 pci slot nic
Knoppix 3.4 ct edition
(WinXP has never defiled this machine 
I'm running a firewall/NAT, with onboard as internal and netgear as external iface for iptables.
both nics work fine if I boot kernel 2.4, but only the internal works if I boot kernel 2.6
looking thru the output of lspci -v, lsmod, mii-tool -v, and dmesg (pertinent bits below) it seems that the card is detected just fine, but I'm missing the necessary tulip module for kernel 2.6. doing "locate tulip" lists source files for a "tulip.ko" for a 2.6 kernel module, but they are not actually on the CD (for reasons of space, I presume). The tulip.ko module iteslf is also not there, but a "tulip.o" module exists for 2.4 and is working just fine.
So, is this just an issue where I need to get the source and kompile the module, which was just left out of the 3.4 ct edition? Or is something else my problem.
I have yet to do a hdd install, as the 2.4 kernel doesn't recognize the Samsung SATA drive, but the 2.6 kernel does (but can't run my firewall) so I'm still flip flopping between the two trying to diagnose my problem.
BTW, despite the problems others have had with LG CD drives, I have had no issue with the LG electronics DVD RAM. I have not tried using it as +/- RW , but DVD RAM works as CD's and DVD's always should have. I simply did a "mkfs -t ext2 -j /dev/cdrom1" and now I have a 4.5GB ext3 filesystem that I can read and write just like a hdd (althogh slower, at about 3MB/sec)
if I boot "knoppix noapic lang=us floppyconf"
(kernel 2.4) both onboard and 2nd nic work fine
pertinet output from lspci:
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 20)
Subsystem: Netgear FA310TX
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
Memory at eb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=256K]
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 7
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine II] Embeded Ethernet Controller on VT8235
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
I/O ports at c400 [size=256]
Memory at eb002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
pertinent output from lsmod:
via-rhine 12304 0
mii 2256 0 [via-rhine]
tulip 38816 1
crc32 2832 0 [via-rhine tulip]
output from mii-tool:
eth0: no autonegotiation, 10baseT-HD, link ok
product info: vendor 00:10:18, model 33 rev 2
basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
advertising: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
link partner: 10baseT-HDi-tool:
eth1: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok
product info: vendor 00:40:63, model 50 rev 8
basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
advertising: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
link partner: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
pertinet output from dmesg:
Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre12 (Aug 9, 2002)
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:09.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:10.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:10.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:12.0
tulip0: MII transceiver #1 config 3000 status 7829 advertising 01e1.
eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at 0x9000, 00:A0:CC:56:F7:86, IRQ 10.
via-rhine.c:v1.10-LK1.1.19 July-12-2003 Written by Donald Becker
http://www.scyld.com/network/via-rhine.html
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:12.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:09.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:10.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:10.1
eth1: VIA VT6102 Rhine-II at 0xeb002000, 00:01:29:87:19:b6, IRQ 10.
eth1: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x786d advertising 05e1 Link 45e1.
if I boot "knoppix2.6 noapic lang=US" (kernel 2.4)
the internal nic works, the netgear does not
pertinent output from lspci
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 20)
Subsystem: Netgear FA310TX
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
Memory at eb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=256K]
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 7
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine II] Embeded Ethernet Controller on VT8235
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
I/O ports at c400 [size=256]
Memory at eb002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
pertinent output from lsmod:
via_rhine 18184 0
mii 6912 1 via_rhine
efs 13316 0
crc32 7424 1 via_rhine
output from mii-tool
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok
product info: vendor 00:40:63, model 50 rev 8
basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
advertising: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
link partner: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
pertinent output from dmesg:
via-rhine.c:v1.10-LK1.1.19-2.5 July-12-2003 Written by Donald Becker
http://www.scyld.com/network/via-rhine.html
eth0: VIA VT6102 Rhine-II at 0xeb002000, 00:01:29:87:19:b6, IRQ 10.
eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x786d advertising 05e1 Link 45e1.
[img][/img]
-
Senior Member
registered user
acpi=off or no apm solved my problems with VT6102 in kernel 2.6
Similar Threads
-
By BillS in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-25-2005, 02:25 PM
-
By your_breakfast in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 02:22 PM
-
By anonp in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-29-2004, 12:30 PM
-
By tr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 08:58 PM
-
By ool in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic
$24.95

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE 5G SM-T738U 12.4" Tablet Gray 64GB T-Mobile CRACKED
$82.68

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra SM-X910 256 GB, Wi-Fi, 14.6 in - Graphite
$625.00

Lot of 12 Non-Working Samsung Galaxy Tablets with BAD LCD for Parts
$381.38