when I try to query the modem in the setup box it is seeming to find a modem but reports that it is busy when it is not actually in use, maybe this gives a better insight as to what may be wrong.
Hi for the first time I am trying Knoppix v3.3 never tried Linux but really want to give it a sporting chance. I.m running it from a bootable CD at the moment and I.m slowly finding my way around only problem is with my modem an Intel v92 HaM on com port3 i cannot set it up at all anyone got any ideas?
Taff
when I try to query the modem in the setup box it is seeming to find a modem but reports that it is busy when it is not actually in use, maybe this gives a better insight as to what may be wrong.
I have exactly the same problem. I think it must be because mine is a Toshiba Software Modem AMR on COM3. Linux doesn't seem to like software modems. Does anyone know how to get around this problem??
mines a hardware modem in a pci slot it's doing my head in!!!
this was posted on a newsgroup
Run lspci as root and note down your modem's IRQ and PORT number. Next
run
> setserial as follows.
>
> # setserial /dev/ttyS0
>
> You should get some output like:
> /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>
> This indicates the settings for your serial port that is com1 in windows.
>
> Now do setserial for ttyS1 to ttyS3. You are looking for a serial port
with
> your modem's IRQ and PORT number. If you find it then you will know which
> one to use to query your modem.
>
> If you don't find it then you will need to configure one of your
> unused /dev/tty's
>
> For instance:
>
> # setserial /dev/ttyS0 port 0x1420 irq 10
>
> Note that you need to replace those values with your own.
>
> Styvaen.
hope it's of some help
Taff

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01