would that be possible??? cuz i have a 2.1gb hd layin around and on my computer now i have an 80gig that i have partioned one side for files and the rest for w.e but im confuzed help please!!!
would that be possible??? cuz i have a 2.1gb hd layin around and on my computer now i have an 80gig that i have partioned one side for files and the rest for w.e but im confuzed help please!!!
That is about the absolute minimum depending on how large the ISO image for std is so how large is it? If it is only about 600mb or there abouts then you can edit the install script and look for the FSMIN variable and change it to something smaller that the 2200 (IIRC) that should already be there if it is close to 700mb then you will most likely have problems fitting it on.Originally Posted by liquid134
hmmm, poormansinstall MIGHT work, but ... id go for a 3.5Gb
Hay, I think you'd better re-partition your 80 Gb-drive. If you can manage, put your data on cd or dvd and use Qtparted or (sudo cfdisk /dev/hda) in a shell running Knoppix, to make a few partitions:
1-/boot partition (don't make this to big, you don't need more than 50 Mb)
2-/ partition (I took about 6 Gb for Knoppix)
3-a partition to store your /home/yourself data is a good idea
3-leave some place to play with later on
I don't know what you're using windoze for, but if you plan to go for linux, than, in time, there's little left to use windoze for. That's my experience.
I have knoppix hd install running on a 2,5 Gb partition, and maybe you just have to try to make it run on your 2,1 Gb drive.
If you want to play around before touching your big drive, maybe "DamnSmallLinux" is good enough to put on a 300Mb partition;
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
Have fun.
You could do a hd based install and set up lilo to boot it. You would have enough space left over for a swap partition and a small home directory. But you couldn't add any new software.
Hi,
I just did it yesterday. I had an old Pentium MMX 166MHz/64MB/2GB HDD machine. I had 200MB swap partition and rest of it for knoppix. I have loaded knoppix 3.3
No special procedure, just booted off the cd
:boot knoppix lang=uk desktop=icewm
from console ran knx-hdinstall and followed the instructions.
Now I am planning to tweak it as it has taken almost my entire harddisk. So I have already removed Samba, and some other langusgae files. Now planning to remove KDE but will keep off necessary libraries to run KDevelop and Qt.
KDE is too heavy, so I would suggest running IceWM under such configuration.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55
MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50
Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y
$699.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory
$399.99
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-2933Y 1Rx4 ECC REG DIMM (PC4-21300) M393A2K40DB2-CVF
$120.00
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98