Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Video as a wallpaper?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13

    Video as a wallpaper?

    Does anyone have any clue how one could use a video clip as a wallpaper, that would be great. I know it would take up quite a but of system resources but I can spare it while I'm not doing anything imporant. Ideally one could have a looping video clip of a countryside or waves on a beach or fish or a waterfall or anything.

    On windows my ati video card came with an ati movie player that would put the video on the desktop but still let you see your icons and everything. Basically I just want to make mplayer or xine or whatever do this on my knoppix desktop(I've tried looking though their preferences and found nothing related). Ideas anyone?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1
    from man mplayer

    -rootwin (X11 only)
    Play movie in the root window (desktop background) instead of
    opening a new one. Works only with x11, xv, xmga and xvidix
    drivers.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13
    Hey I tried this and it did not work, I tried turning off all desktop images and having a blank desktop and it still doens't work, I can hear the audio, but no video anywhere at all.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by kovk
    Hey I tried this and it did not work
    Probably you tried in KDE? There, the desktop background image is "in the way". I don't know what to do, but the method described works well as long as you have just plain X running (with the "checkerboard" background).

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13

    Ok figured it out

    Yes you are right, I am using KDE, but I got it fixed anyways. I'll describe what to do. First of all you gotta turn off icons in Desktop - Behavior , then go into Background - Advanced - Use Program to draw desktop. Make it so the command it uses is

    mplayer -zoom movie .mpg -rootwin

    This works for me.

Similar Threads

  1. ugly kdm wallpaper
    By maxIT in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 07:54 AM
  2. Fluxbox unable to load wallpaper
    By dr_rude in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 01:37 AM
  3. not sure how to set wallpaper
    By zeeboid in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 01:07 PM
  4. Kylie Minogue Wallpaper, how can i see???
    By zeeboid in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 05:28 AM
  5. Knoppix Wallpaper
    By xetaprime in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2002, 04:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive picture

Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive

$49.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$343.98



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99