Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: newbie q.: how to browse the LAN?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2

    newbie q.: how to browse the LAN?

    i'm a usual windows user who tries linux for the first time...
    the way to search and browse a local network in windows is much easy, so is there something like this in knoppix-linux?

    after all, i want to format a hdd on another system with the linux file system and can't boot linux locally. is it possible to format a hdd via network?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    Yes there is, though I don't believe it is on the KNOPPIX CD. It is called LinNeighborhood. There is a stable Debian package. Here is the description from the man page:

    LinNeighborhood is a browser for SMB (Microsoft Windows) networks. It allows you to browse the available SMB shares and mount/unmount them via the smbfs filesystem, similarly to Network Neighborhood on Microsoft platforms. In order to mount or unmount SMB shares, you must have smbfs filesystem support compiled into your kernel, or available as a module.

    I don't know about formatting a remote disk, though maybe someone else can answer.

    Good Luck!

    Mike

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    The only way I would know of being able to format a disk is to be running linux on that system or use a file system utility that supports linux filesystems. One thing you might look into, Knoppix supports remote-terminal-session (I think that's the correct terminology, remote booting) I'm not running knoppix now so I can't tell you exactly what you need to do ... do a search here for more info.

    Anyway one way to approach your problem, for the 'remote' box you would make a PXE or network boot floppy and boot to it, you need to have knoppix running on another box on your network, you will boot into the running knoppix system, once booted in you should be able to fdisk, format and whatever else you need to do. There are also several mini-distros (floppy based) that would allow you to format the disk.

    AS far as viewing files on samba shares, xfsamba is included in knoppix and it allows you to view and get files on windows systems, you can put files onto vfat windows partitions (ntfs is read-only). There is a login as menu selection that you will probably need to use if you need passwords access to you windows machines.

    HTH

    rock

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    61

    Samba is in Koppix

    If it's completly configured correctly, I don't know...I'm still learning.

    The LinNeighborhood looks really cool, I'll have to look into it. The one thing I've run into is that you have to have a properly configured Windows network with Wins and Net Bios support pointing to a specific server--or so I think, I may be wrong...I still can't seem to get into the PC accross the room even though I can talk to the server??

    My shop is primarily Win 98 [sad but true]. We're pointed at an AS/400 for all the networking, but primarily use shared PC printers rather that network--so I think that the Win98 Network Neighborhood is a little smarter that the Samba in finding other windows computers without being told where they are. I know the several Win XP boxes are even more agressive about finding network shares - even inactive shares on the Win 98 boxes.


    One question I have for someone smarter: Can I install Koppix programs to a Fat32 network share? [i.e. samba mounted] I have them mounted in the .sh startup script. Basicly, I want to do this because you can't save to the CD, and it would be twice as cool to keep the stuff on the network. [downloaded programs, document files, etc...]

Similar Threads

  1. can browse to samba shares but can;t mount them
    By Hayabusa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 01:35 PM
  2. computer browse in domain through konqueror?
    By terminator in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 08:13 PM
  3. newbie here, please help ^_^
    By hitokiri007 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 07:56 AM
  4. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  5. Browse Windows Network and logon(join) NT domain
    By debeerj in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 09:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$79.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00