Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: v3.3 2004-02-16 ISO images download fine but missing files??

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    3

    v3.3 2004-02-16 ISO images download fine but missing files??

    I've been having strange problems with the Knoppix 3.3 EN ISO images dated Feb 9th and 16th. They download fine, the MD5 checksums match, but they also seem to be missing some content!

    (I'm currently running Windows 95 [yes... still] on a Dell Dimension 2400, Pentium II 233MHz, 192MB RAM; burned with Nero Express to a LiteOn LTR-52327S CD-RW... but none of that is relevant to my problem, as you will see.)

    The story:

    I downloaded KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso and md5sum.exe gave me the correct checksum, so I burned it to a CD (no errors) and booted up Knoppix (again, seemingly no errors). After booting, however, I began to notice problems.

    These included the system pausing for many seconds when browsing the "K" menu, pausing for even longer when dialog boxes would come up, missing buttons in dialog boxes, some missing documentation, some programs not working properly, some crashing, and some even seeming to lock up the system. (The good news: Knoppix seems to recognize all my hardware. But what else would you expect?)

    Eventually I tried a program that opened a terminal window while setting itself up and I saw multiple error messages, one of which appeared to be saying it couldn't find a button image. Hmm...

    Well, to make a long story slightly shorter, the testcd cheatcode revealed similar errors, so I redownloaded the ISO image and again it gave the correct MD5 checksum. But when I used the option to check all the files individually, it gave me errors!

    And here they are:

    Code:
    autorun.inf: FAILED open or read
    cdrom.ico: FAILED open or read
    Demos/Audio/green_openmusic_license.txt: FAILED open or read
    Demos/Audio/opensource.ogg: FAILED open or read
    Demos/Audio/README.txt: FAILED open or read
    index.html: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/background.jpg: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/boot.img: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/1stleftfill.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/2ndfill.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/2ndleftfill.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/button-knoppix.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/button-links.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/button-openmusic.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/button-selflinux.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/button-talks.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/knoppix-logo.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/sidefill.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/topfill.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/topleft.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/images/topright.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/index_dk.html: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/index_en.html: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/index_es.html: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/index_fr.html: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/index.html: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/index_it.html: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/index_jp.html: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/index_nl.html: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/index_ru.html: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/knoblind.bat: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX-FAQ-ES.txt: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX-FAQ-FR.txt: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX-FAQ-IT.txt: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX-FAQ-NL.txt: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX-FAQ.txt: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/knoppix-header.gif: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/LICENSE.txt: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/links.html: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/mkfloppy.bat: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/rawrite2.exe: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/rawrite2-readme.txt: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/README_Security.txt: FAILED open or read
    KNOPPIX/web-background.gif: FAILED open or read
    Talks/freesoftware-paper.pdf: FAILED open or read
    Talks/freesoftware-screen.pdf: FAILED open or read
    Talks/knoppix-vortrag-2003-paper.pdf: FAILED open or read
    Talks/knoppix-vortrag-2003-screen.pdf: FAILED open or read
    The exact same thing happens with KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-09-EN.iso: correct MD5 checksum, so it downloaded okay, but it's missing (or can't read) the exact same files! (This one I didn't even burn, obviously.)

    So, how is this possible?? The ISO images have been up for over two months; they can't be corrupt! Right?

    (OBTW, the site I used is ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/knoppix/, because that one gives me decent download rates. This shouldn't make a difference, though, because all mirrors should use the exact same ISO files and MD5 checksums.)

    And it can't just be a problem with md5sum.exe, because some of those error messages seem to reflect the problems I'm having in Knoppix.

    If anyone has an explanation or remedy, please post.

    I'm now going to try the 2004-11-19 version. Wish me luck...

    - dcljr

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    3
    Okay, why do I always discover something right after posting to a newsgroup/forum that completely changes my perspective on my problem?

    I just noticed at a different FTP site that the files md5sum.exe was complaining about are exactly the files that are burned to the CD! I was deceived by how few there were. (KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX itself is the 700+MB compressed file containing most of the content.)

    Okay, so forget about the error messages given by md5sum.exe. The fact remains that the regular checksum option returns the right checksum and I can actually boot to Knoppix on the version I burned to CD.

    So I still don't know what could be going on.

    I'm now going to try the 2004-11-19 version.
    Yeah, well, maybe not. I thought I had found it online, but it turned out to be a phantom. Does anyone know where I can find older versions of 3.3 -- i.e., before 2004-02-09? (And please don't say P2P. I'm looking for FTP if possible.)

    - dcljr

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    3
    Answering my own question...

    Regarding the two posts above:

    1. The problems while running Linux were due to a bad burn.
    2. The problems with using md5sum.exe were due to my own misunderstanding of how to use that program.


    For the record, should anyone having similar problems stumble across this series of messages, here's the right way to do it, assuming md5sum.exe is in the current path or the current directory (I put it in c:\windows\command).

    To get the checksum for the downloaded ISO image, before burning it:
    Code:
    md5sum KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso
    To automatically verify the ISO file's checksum against the official checksum in the corresponding .md5 file, assuming both are in the current directory:
    Code:
    md5sum -c KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.md5
    Note: You don't use the -c option on the .iso file itself!

    And the magic command I couldn't figure out...

    To verify the individual files after burning the ISO image to the CD:
    Code:
    md5sum -c KNOPPIX/md5sums
    Disclaimer: The above commands are for the Windows 95 version of md5sum.exe. The last command was executed in a DOS window after changing to the root directory of the Knoppix CD. For example, e:\ or h:\ or whatever your CD-ROM drive is.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6

    Checksum problems.

    Hmm

    Well, I am having a problem, and getting 2 error messages.

    When I try to boot using the cd that I have created, I get an "Image checksum error".

    The checksum of the image I download says it is OK.

    When I try to use md5sum -c KNOPPIX/md5sums to verify the individual files on the cd, I get a permission problem on the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.

    Perhaps the file is not burning correctly to the CD. I have tried burning 4 different ways, using Ahead Nero and burnatonce, and all have the same problem.

    Any pointers?

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. there are 5 iso files, do I download all of these and put on
    By ArticWhite in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 08:08 AM
  2. Where can I download V3.3-2004-02-09?
    By dv440 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 12:32 AM
  3. Missing Files on iso9660?
    By Aeiri in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 06:18 PM
  4. Download/Save files on hd
    By robbiw in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 07:17 PM
  5. Which files to download?
    By TRANCEMoDe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1671.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$462.74



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99