Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Bringing up graphical interface on boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6

    Bringing up graphical interface on boot

    Hey, I'm a complete noob to all things Linux. I was a hardcore Windows user, but let's just say I saw the light.
    Anyway, I have installed Knoppix to a partition, and am booting from a floppy. Everything with that works perfectly- I can still boot to Windows if I need to, and I can log into Knoppix.
    However, when I boot from my floppy and log into Knoppix, I don't know how to bring up the familiar graphic interface of the CD booted Knoppix. I log in fine, but I still stay in the command line interface.
    I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I did a search and nothing seemed relevant.

    Jared

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    However, when I boot from my floppy and log into Knoppix, I don't know how to bring up the familiar graphic interface of the CD booted Knoppix. I log in fine, but I still stay in the command line interface.
    Type startx after logging in.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    If you want it to go straight to graphical mode you should-

    login as root
    cd /etc/rc5.d
    ln -s ../init.d/kdm S99kdm

    Next time you reboot into linux, it should go straight to the graphical logon screen of the K Desktop Manager (kdm). There's an option during the installer that asks about setting up kdm, and it seems you chose "no".

Similar Threads

  1. No graphical interface for root on HD install
    By markpreston in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 07:49 PM
  2. lilo graphical menu (install=bmp) and boot parameters
    By knulle in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 12:03 PM
  3. Can not get to a graphical UI after boot
    By Tiggs in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 09:50 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 03:28 PM
  5. [SUGGESTION] Graphical boot
    By Fabianx in forum Ideas
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$350.00



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD A6-3500@2.10GHz 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ picture

VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ

$160.00



Rare Vintage Qume QVT-102 Terminal w Keyboard Damaged READ picture

Rare Vintage Qume QVT-102 Terminal w Keyboard Damaged READ

$129.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



MOS MCS1026 Vintage Ceramic Chip - missing multiple legs (BO) picture

MOS MCS1026 Vintage Ceramic Chip - missing multiple legs (BO)

$250.00



Zilog Z80A-P10 Z80 Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

Zilog Z80A-P10 Z80 Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$150.00



INTEL C3404 VINTAGE Ceramic Gray Trace Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

INTEL C3404 VINTAGE Ceramic Gray Trace Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$250.00



Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used picture

Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used

$19.99



HP OmniBook 425 Vintage Computer RARE Computer Only WORKS W/Flashdisk picture

HP OmniBook 425 Vintage Computer RARE Computer Only WORKS W/Flashdisk

$299.99