Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Bringing up graphical interface on boot

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6

    Bringing up graphical interface on boot

    Hey, I'm a complete noob to all things Linux. I was a hardcore Windows user, but let's just say I saw the light.
    Anyway, I have installed Knoppix to a partition, and am booting from a floppy. Everything with that works perfectly- I can still boot to Windows if I need to, and I can log into Knoppix.
    However, when I boot from my floppy and log into Knoppix, I don't know how to bring up the familiar graphic interface of the CD booted Knoppix. I log in fine, but I still stay in the command line interface.
    I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I did a search and nothing seemed relevant.

    Jared

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    However, when I boot from my floppy and log into Knoppix, I don't know how to bring up the familiar graphic interface of the CD booted Knoppix. I log in fine, but I still stay in the command line interface.
    Type startx after logging in.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    If you want it to go straight to graphical mode you should-

    login as root
    cd /etc/rc5.d
    ln -s ../init.d/kdm S99kdm

    Next time you reboot into linux, it should go straight to the graphical logon screen of the K Desktop Manager (kdm). There's an option during the installer that asks about setting up kdm, and it seems you chose "no".

Similar Threads

  1. No graphical interface for root on HD install
    By markpreston in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 07:49 PM
  2. lilo graphical menu (install=bmp) and boot parameters
    By knulle in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 12:03 PM
  3. Can not get to a graphical UI after boot
    By Tiggs in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 09:50 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 03:28 PM
  5. [SUGGESTION] Graphical boot
    By Fabianx in forum Ideas
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial picture

A Mini Windows Server w Xeon E3 Processor & (2) 500GB Hard Drive-Home/Industrial

$319.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00