Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Windows-actalike floppy

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3

    Windows-actalike floppy

    On a Knoppix 3.3 harddisk install, I would like to have a floppy that behaves like a Windows a: drive; users should be able to pop in their floppies and treat them as if they were on a Windows machine.

    How do I go about this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    what do yo eman here? pop one in then just click and access files?

    I'm not sure about harddrive install but knoppix does have an automount for floppies. (mounts after linux sees disk) and I would guess the harddrive install would too.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    Yes, off the CD it probably worked.

    Now that I've got the distro installed on two separate hard drives, I find that (a) the floppy drive becomes read-only and (b) that I have to mount/umount floppy disks manually when I want to look at their contents.

    The idea would be to just pop in a floppy disk, look at it and copy stuff onto it in Konqueror, then pop in another and do the same without any mount/umount required.

    Autofs looks like a solution but I'm afraid it's is a bit over my head.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    You must mean the supermount patch for the kernel. That patch does what you want better than the automount option in the kernel.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    Knoppix 3.3. doesn't seem to include the supermount kernel patch. I'm not horribly ecxited about messing with the kernel, but I might give it a try if it's the only way.

    Then again -- Knoppix harddisk installs are popular, and I'm probably not the first person who ever wanted a floppy drive to behave in that partricular way, so I'm hoping there'd be some ready-made solution ...

    Is it generally known that the Knoppix automount shell script (/etc/automount.sh) breaks when the distro is installed on a harddisk? If yes, can it be fixed?

Similar Threads

  1. Help with floppy
    By bob58 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 05:15 AM
  2. to floppy or not to floppy
    By john_h in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 04:47 PM
  3. Missing Files Floppy and CDrom Can't Mount Floppy or CD
    By SkyHawk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:40 AM
  4. How to install WINDOWS 2000 besides LINUX and WINDOWS 98
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
  5. can't see USB Floppy
    By clubfoot in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00