-
Knoppix does not see my entire HD
I searched a few times to avoid asking something that has been discussed already, so if I am doing so anyway, or if the answer is obvious and I am just dense...
My system: a four year old 686. Pentium III 500mHz, 256MB RAM, a master 120GB HD that is all one DOS partition (foolish error, yes, but I didn't know any better at the time) and a slave HD that is 20GB Maxtor.
The second disk is the problem. Out of the box, the 20GB was the machine's original and only HD. After I installed the 120GB for movies and mp3s, the 20GB became the Linux playground. Now, running Knoppix from the CD, it could see the entire 20GB DOS partition that was there. (Knoppix cannot mount the 120 as it is, of course
) But when I decided to go for the poor man's install, I wanted the "CD" to have its own partion, and discovered that both cfdisk and qtparted see only an 8 GB disk there. First, both told me the existing partition exceeded the disk space and could not proceed. So from DOS I used fdisk. As a blank, unformatted disk, cfdisk and qtparted still only saw 8GB. It would allow me to make DOS and ext2 partitions with that 8GB, but it did not see the remaining space. I tried every thing I could think of--included loading up the diskwith several small partitions with fdisk, hoping I could reformat them with qtparted--but no matter what, Knoppix sees 8 GB and DOS sees 20, unless I make a DOS partition of the whole drive and run Knoppix from the CD, but then it can only read and write to the disk, not reformat it.
The current setup is I have two partitions, hdb1 with about 6GB for files, and hdb2 with about 2GB for the poor man's install. From DOS/Windows, fdisk sees a drive with 8GB formatted and 12GB free, while Linux sees only 8GB.
I can live that, but I would really like to understand what the problem is. I probably don't need even the 8GB, truth be told, but I would really like to understand what is going on here. I would like to do a proper install to this disk oneday, but I would want the entire disk if I did so.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Knoppix does not see my entire HD

Originally Posted by
solaris
The second disk is the problem. Out of the box, the 20GB was the machine's original and only HD. After I installed the 120GB for movies and mp3s, the 20GB became the Linux playground. Now, running Knoppix from the CD, it could see the entire 20GB DOS partition that was there. (Knoppix cannot mount the 120 as it is, of course

) But when I decided to go for the poor man's install, I wanted the "CD" to have its own partion, and discovered that both cfdisk and qtparted see only an 8 GB disk there. First, both told me the existing partition exceeded the disk space and could not proceed. So from DOS I used fdisk. As a blank, unformatted disk, cfdisk and qtparted still only saw 8GB. It would allow me to make DOS and ext2 partitions with that 8GB, but it did not see the remaining space. I tried every thing I could think of--included loading up the diskwith several small partitions with fdisk, hoping I could reformat them with qtparted--but no matter what, Knoppix sees 8 GB and DOS sees 20, unless I make a DOS partition of the whole drive and run Knoppix from the CD, but then it can only read and write to the disk, not reformat it.
The current setup is I have two partitions, hdb1 with about 6GB for files, and hdb2 with about 2GB for the poor man's install. From DOS/Windows, fdisk sees a drive with 8GB formatted and 12GB free, while Linux sees only 8GB.
That seems a little strange if anything that board should have the 32gb HD limit not the 8gb one. Do you have a setting in the BIOS where you can turn on LBA for the hard drives? If so turn it on. Can you post the output of fdisk -l (the linux fdisk not DOS) so we can see it? Both before and after turning on the LBA if possible. And just to be sure the jumpers are set properly on the drives eg. the master is set to master and the slave set to slave not none of that cable select foolishness linux sometimes reacts badly to the cable select.
-
It was the jumper settings. LBA was enabled--both fdisk and the BIOS setting themselves showed that, but when I checked the jumpers, sure enough, they were set to the *other* slave setting, and not just the basic slave. Thank you very much--I would never have thought to look at the jumpers.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
solaris
It was the jumper settings. LBA was enabled--both fdisk and the BIOS setting themselves showed that, but when I checked the jumpers, sure enough, they were set to the *other* slave setting, and not just the basic slave. Thank you very much--I would never have thought to look at the jumpers.
Your welcome I knew it had to be some stupid setting somewhere.
Similar Threads
-
By rbasting in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-30-2005, 05:43 AM
-
By mconzo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
-
By bentring in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-21-2004, 03:33 AM
-
By sk545 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2
$200.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ Plus 11” 128GB Android Tablet Graphite BRAND NEW SEALED.
$214.99