Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to change console resolution?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23

    How to change console resolution?

    I'm using an HDTV which can only handle certain particular resolutions. I have figured out how to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to ensure that the GUI is in a good resolution (1280x960 interlaced, with custom timings).

    However, if I use Ctrl-Alt-F1...F6, then it uses some other resolution--I think maybe 1024x768. This is NOT a resolution which my HDTV can accept. I'd like to modify it so that the text consoles use 640x480 resolution, with my own custom timings.

    Any ideas what to change to make the consoles use the resolution I want? Maybe I should modify XF86Config? The text console is my failsafe in case I mess up things, so I'm wary of experimenting with it without a clue whether I'm even modifying the correct file.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    You need to pass that parameter on boot so just add "vga=XXXxXXX" to your boot loader. If you use ntldr then I have no idea. If you use lilo or grub then just add one of the following to your boot line:

    640x480 vga=769
    800x600 vga=771
    1024x768 vga=773
    1280x1024 vga=775
    1600x1200 vga=796

    For example:

    kernel (hd0,10)/boot/vmlinuz rw root=/dev/hda11 hdb=scsi apm=power-off nomce vga=791 lang=us

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23
    Thanks! Your advice along with some others who replied to my question on JustLinux has given me the solution.

    What I did was to first edit /etc/lilo.conf. The very first line of this file was "vga=791"--even above the comment block explaining what this file was. I didn't even notice the line there for the longest time, since the location was so unconventional. In any case, I changed it to "vga=769" for 640x480.

    Then, I ran "lilo" to make those changes to lilo.conf effective.

    Then I rebooted the system...yippee!

    Thanks again!

Similar Threads

  1. change screen resolution
    By brainstorm in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 06:49 AM
  2. How to change screen resolution
    By mheight in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 12:54 PM
  3. Can't change resolution
    By timeo27 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 04:34 AM
  4. Console display resolution too high - fixed?
    By xbob in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 05:16 PM
  5. who do i change resolution?
    By ndori in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 10:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



(LOT OF 12) Intel Core i5-9500 CPU 3.00GHz Desktop Processor (SRF4B) picture

(LOT OF 12) Intel Core i5-9500 CPU 3.00GHz Desktop Processor (SRF4B)

$575.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core Ultra 7 265K CPU Desktop Processor LGA 1851 20-Core - New picture

Intel Core Ultra 7 265K CPU Desktop Processor LGA 1851 20-Core - New

$284.79



USED - Intel Core i7-13700 SRMBA 2.10GHz 30M 16-Core Socket 1700 CPU Processor picture

USED - Intel Core i7-13700 SRMBA 2.10GHz 30M 16-Core Socket 1700 CPU Processor

$250.00