Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Newbie - Need Help Getting Modem To Work

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8

    Newbie - Need Help Getting Modem To Work

    Hi,

    Let me start by saying I am a newbie, but I'm learning and I'm very determined. I've been doing my homework but have reached a snag and need some help.

    I'm using the Knoppix 3.3 Live CD but I am unable to connect to the internet. I was able to configure the modem using the instructions found at This Site. Using /dev/ttyS0 I get a "Modem ready" message when I query the modem, but when I try to connect I get Initializing modem..... and it never gets any further than that. Thinking I may need to do something to get my modem to work, I did some searching.

    I've searched since yesterday and learned how to determine what type of modem I have using the FCC Registration Number. I then found the Linux/Modem Compatibility Knowledge Base and my modem is listed with an LM meaning I have a Winmodem that may work with a vendor-supplied Linux ("Linmodem") driver and there is a Penguin face next to it which I read means I have a Winmodem chipset with "Linmodem" drivers. (My modem is a SMART Modular Technologies, Inc. Model 90109-2 with FCC Registration Number: 2D7USA-35107-M5-E)

    Now I'm lost. Where do I get these drivers and once I aquire them, how do I get them to work using a live CD? Do I even need new drivers? I am so lost.

    If I sound like an idiot, there is no need to point it out. I feel like one too.

    Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8
    Well, I am the idiot that I think that I am.

    When I click on the "little Penguin face" I am taken to This Volunteer "Linmodem" Project Page and that in turn takes me to the LTModem Drivers for Linux page.

    Now for my next stupid question:

    I don't see "Knoppix" listed, do I use the Debian GNU/Linux binary package instead? Also, how do I "install" this since I'm running a live CD? Can I run this off of a floppy or what? Aaaaaaaand.....Which Of These do I download?

    I refuse to give up

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Filbert
    I don't see "Knoppix" listed, do I use the Debian GNU/Linux binary package instead? Also, how do I "install" this since I'm running a live CD? Can I run this off of a floppy or what? Aaaaaaaand.....Which Of These do I download?
    Does no one have an answer for me?

    I still refuse to give up

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    16
    OK. Firstly, when you download something for your Knoppix, you will want the Debian version, as Knoppix is a Debian distro.

    Secondly, you won't be able to install your modem on a Live CD operation, but then, you will already have an Internet-capable OS installed already.


    My suggestion is use your Windows to connect to the 'net, but if you want to HDInstall Knoppix to your PC, call back here.

    Hope I've been of help!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 07:37 PM
  2. Newbie needs help getting USB mouse to work
    By JrBobDobbs in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 09:35 PM
  3. NEWBIE: Help getting modem work
    By ica in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 04:19 PM
  4. Newbie - Cable modem install
    By slicksps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 02:49 AM
  5. Newbie Modem problems...
    By Rorypyro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 10:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00