-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix 3.3: KDE crashes with user=knoppix
Hello!
I installed Knoppix 3.3 to my harddisk with the knxinstall-script. All my hardware was properly detected and everything worked fine. I was really pleased! However, my pleasure didn't last for long... 
At first, I started my knoppix on HDD as user "root" as well as user "knoppix" without any problems. But the third day I when I switched my computer on, I got an error message from KDE's crash manager saying that "KWin" (the KDE window manager) had to be shut down due to some segfault errors. Reasonable work was no longer possible, as all window headers and frames in KDE were broken. I shut down the PC and turned it on again. Now, logging in in kdm as "knoppix", I got an additional KDE errror message: This time, "KSplash" was broken, too. Moreover, in KDE, everything is VERY VERY slow, there's a lot of ado on my harddisk and any program I try to start fails (e.g. Khelp) with or without an error message from the KDE crash manager.
Note: I did not do any changes to the system between the installation of knoppix to HDD and always did shut down the computer properly until the screen showd on the screen the words "Power down."
Very strange, too: The above mentioned problems DO NOT occur as user "root"! Here, the login from kdm is straightforward as is should be with the Mac-like loading of the diverse modules on the screen (sorry for that comparison, but I don't know how to describe this in a better way).
Furthermore, I checked my memory with the programme "memtest" for 72 hours showing no problems at all. Thus, my RAM seems to be okay.
Any ideas what's wrong with my system???
Please help me!!!
Best regards,
Oli
Similar Threads
-
By kn in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-01-2005, 11:24 PM
-
By danjelsan in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-31-2004, 08:58 AM
-
By MickKi in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 01:26 PM
-
By LuCasn in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-12-2003, 10:41 AM
-
By asmodath in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99