Put the patch in /usr/src/linux-2.6.5
cd /usr/src/liinux
patch -p1 < kernel-patch....
Have kernel and have made/saved config. Need to apply knoppix-kernel.patch.
I did a
patch -p0 knoppix-kernel.patch
from /usr/src after re-linking linux to mmy new kernel source. It fails.
Put the patch in /usr/src/linux-2.6.5
cd /usr/src/liinux
patch -p1 < kernel-patch....
I'll give it a go. It did spit out errors about specific lines and hunks failing to patch, so it seemed as though I was in the right spot with the right command.
I had it wrong a couple of times too and it would just hang.
other stuff about making a 2.6 kernel for live CD-
Looks like I need to update cloop-utils to 2.01-1. Right now I have 2.00-1. This is odd because the modified Cebit version I'm using has a 2.4 and 2.6 kernel already and cloop 2.01-1 is the only version that's supposed to work with 2.6 kernels, yet I have the older version....
Anyway, so I'll have to compile new cloop modules for both my kernels, and the correct spot for them seems to be /lib/modules/kernel_version/kernel/drivers/block or is it misc?
I think all I need is cloop.o? Or do I also need the create_compressed_fs.o and extract_compressed_fs.o and if so where do they go? Looks like I need to do some grepping in my current kernel modules to find out...
I know I also have to replace the cloop modules in my two miniroot's.
And scsi drivers in them as well.
Just getting it all sorted out- Once done, I'll need to clean up. I used source from kernel.org, which is going to be way to big to keep around once I have a working kernel image and modules. I'll look at my other kernels to see what I can reomve.
Basically what in /usr/src/2.6.5 can I get rid of, and what is essential that I keep?
I'm not exactly new to building kernels, but I don't do it frequently, and knoppix has all these special extra steps... Any help from the community would be appreciated.
And one more topic-
If I can successfully build and rebuild 2.6.5 and a corresponding 2.4 kernel with the enwer cloop utils, could I then tar it up and give it out to other remasterers for use in remasters of cebit?
It seems the only files are the modified miniroot, the /usr/src/kernel_version, the
3 files + softlink in /boot, and the modules in /lib/modules/kernel_version.
I could provide instructions for replacing these files. Is it legal for me to pass around a kernel like that? And would it work for others who remaster from the same base, Knoppix 3.4 cebit?
I used squashfs in my remasters,not cloop i don t help you,sorry,but for cloop usage,enter the directory of cloop and use this command line dpkg build-package for compile and create the debian cloop package...
arkaine23,
you are almost correct. cloop.o is needed in miniroot.gz
but cloop.ko is needed for modprobe ;when you compile cloop-2.01
it automatically gives create_compressed_fs and extract_compressed_fs;copy them all (cloop.o,cloop.ko,cloop.mod.ko,create_compressed_f s,extract_compressed_fs)
to /lib/modules/version_kernel/misc for people doing remastering.The cloop_src got from :
linuxtag.developer_knopper_src, alekstreme_morphix,and
linuxkid_peanut-9.6_ibibliosite .All are ok!
Of course,cloop as well as insmod should be compiled for each kernel version
To reduce the kernel_src size rmove in include,documentation...
all /arch/...other than i386!
hth

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard
$95.99
Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99
ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$75.00