Silly me, I set the LAN gateway as my internet gateway. Deleted the default gateway and manually set the ISP gateway and everything works fine now.
I've just installed Knoppix and ran a hdinstall shortly afterwards.. and it seems that both booting with the cd and after hdinstall the network doesn't work.
I tried to telnet to my dns server (well, any IP for that case) and it shows network unreachable.
I used the PPPoE configuration tool and it seemed to have connected without a hitch (pppstatus shows it is connected) since I have a dynamic IP I tried to poff and then re-establish the connection and pppstatus clearly shows the IP has changed, which is correct.
I have no problems telneting into my ADSL modem (non-router) and this is the only computer in the house so there is no other networking.
I have also tried to ping the DNS server and all the packets are dropped(network unreachable?) and tested the connection by rm -rf /etc/resolv.conf and touch /etc/resolv.conf. The DNS servers are correctly inserted after a connection is established.
I've ran through many posts in this forum and it seems that no one really has a solution for this problem... is there hope?
Silly me, I set the LAN gateway as my internet gateway. Deleted the default gateway and manually set the ISP gateway and everything works fine now.

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99
IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD
$279.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D
$142.50