Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: After remastering the image is about 20 MB larger

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5

    After remastering the image is about 20 MB larger

    Hello,

    sorry for that question! I think it was answered a few days ago. But I cannot find it anymore.
    I guess it has something to do with optimization of the files. Where can I find more details about it?

    Thanks in advance,

    Armin herzer

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    A lot of reasons this can happen. Did you do an apt-get clean to remove downloaded packages? Also software has a tendency tro get larger with time. If you update anything odfds, are it gets bigger.

    One thing I remove straight off the bat are the tetex packages. That can clear up some space for you quickly.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Did you get this:
    http://gnubox.dyndns.org:8080/~sunil/knoppix.clean

    Umm...don't run that on your Linux install. In fact I never make it executable until I put it into the remastering environment.

    Did you do this:
    deborphan | xargs apt-get -y remove

    and this:
    COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l |grep ^rc |awk '{print $2} ' | xargs dpkg -P

    If you did all that then the only other thing that I know of is the sorting script which can be found on the mailing lists but I haven't really figured out how to use it. I don't think that would have anything to do with the size of your image however.

    Also don't forget to remove anything you might have built in /usr/src but you probably did that already.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Did you get this:
    http://gnubox.dyndns.org:8080/~sunil/knoppix.clean

    Umm...don't run that on your Linux install. In fact I never make it executable until I put it into the remastering environment.

    Did you do this:
    deborphan | xargs apt-get -y remove

    and this:
    COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l |grep ^rc |awk '{print $2} ' | xargs dpkg -P

    If you did all that then the only other thing that I know of is the sorting script which can be found on the mailing lists but I haven't really figured out how to use it. It needs a reference file but what file?? I don't think that would have anything to do with the size of your image however as it sorts by time stamp.

    Also don't forget to remove anything you might have built in /usr/src but you probably did that already.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1

    Re: After remastering the image is about 20 MB larger

    Quote Originally Posted by ahz
    Hello,

    sorry for that question! I think it was answered a few days ago. But I cannot find it anymore.
    I guess it has something to do with optimization of the files. Where can I find more details about it?

    Thanks in advance,

    Armin herzer
    I posted this question in the debian-knoppix ML and Fabian give me this reply:

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian
    That no problem of cloop, but of the compressor.
    [I thought the problem was in new version of cloop]

    The new one is included though ...

    So using the create_compressed_fs from the 3.4 will work.

    It has a new option -b = best, which enables the best compression by using
    different compression schemes and tries to optimize that way...

    But be careful! That option is slow (10x slower iirc).

Similar Threads

  1. Can't Burn Iso Image. It's Larger than CD Capacity.
    By verstegen in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-17-2005, 08:26 PM
  2. remastering problem(always KILLED while doing iso9660 image)
    By acaro in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 03:07 AM
  3. Remastering 3.4 - ISOLINUX booting problem, image not found
    By mustang in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 07:18 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 06:40 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate Exos ST20000NM003C 20TB CMR 7200RPM SATA6Gb/s 3.5

Seagate Exos ST20000NM003C 20TB CMR 7200RPM SATA6Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive

$509.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99