I made one, and i dont know if its being used because it says that its empty in the info thingy. How can i check if it is on and if it isnt how can i switch it on?
I made one, and i dont know if its being used because it says that its empty in the info thingy. How can i check if it is on and if it isnt how can i switch it on?
freeOriginally Posted by ZeroKun
mkswap /dev/hdxXand if it isnt how can i switch it on?
swapon /dev/hdxX
Thanks. Its on, just seemed wierd that infocenter said it wasnt mounted and free of space.
Nah that's quite normal as swap doesn't get mounted.Originally Posted by ZeroKun
![]()
I too questioned the swap file space when my info says it was always empty. it turned out that the swap file maximum space should be double your ram, I have 1024 meg ram, so I set the swap space to 2048 meg.
When the sysinfo reported that the file was empty, I did some searching for debian and fond that the swap file maximum it will use is 128 meg, and also if you have 512 meg or more ram, then you do not need a swap file.
I repartitioned the drive and my system is running happily without a swap file.
That's some very good info upchucky but it is neither Linux nor Debian that is requiring ZeroKun to create a swap partition but rather the installer.Originally Posted by upchucky
![]()
You don't need one. But I maintain that it's always better to have one. Just don't make it bigger than half a gig.also if you have 512 meg or more ram, then you do not need a swap file.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99
Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600
$239.99
New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59