Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: swap partition

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76

    swap partition

    I made one, and i dont know if its being used because it says that its empty in the info thingy. How can i check if it is on and if it isnt how can i switch it on?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: swap partition

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroKun
    I made one, and i dont know if its being used because it says that its empty in the info thingy. How can i check if it is on
    free

    and if it isnt how can i switch it on?
    mkswap /dev/hdxX
    swapon /dev/hdxX

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    Thanks. Its on, just seemed wierd that infocenter said it wasnt mounted and free of space.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroKun
    Thanks. Its on, just seemed wierd that infocenter said it wasnt mounted and free of space.
    Nah that's quite normal as swap doesn't get mounted.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6

    swap space

    I too questioned the swap file space when my info says it was always empty. it turned out that the swap file maximum space should be double your ram, I have 1024 meg ram, so I set the swap space to 2048 meg.
    When the sysinfo reported that the file was empty, I did some searching for debian and fond that the swap file maximum it will use is 128 meg, and also if you have 512 meg or more ram, then you do not need a swap file.

    I repartitioned the drive and my system is running happily without a swap file.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: swap space

    Quote Originally Posted by upchucky
    I too questioned the swap file space when my info says it was always empty. it turned out that the swap file maximum space should be double your ram, I have 1024 meg ram, so I set the swap space to 2048 meg.
    When the sysinfo reported that the file was empty, I did some searching for debian and fond that the swap file maximum it will use is 128 meg, and also if you have 512 meg or more ram, then you do not need a swap file.

    I repartitioned the drive and my system is running happily without a swap file.
    That's some very good info upchucky but it is neither Linux nor Debian that is requiring ZeroKun to create a swap partition but rather the installer.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    also if you have 512 meg or more ram, then you do not need a swap file.
    You don't need one. But I maintain that it's always better to have one. Just don't make it bigger than half a gig.

Similar Threads

  1. Swap partition on different drive
    By pbock in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 09:56 PM
  2. can't activate swap partition in 3.4
    By hany_bee3000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 07:00 AM
  3. Help with swap partition
    By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 11:31 PM
  4. Must have swap partition?
    By metavoid in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:40 PM
  5. Linux swap partition
    By Sucker in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2003, 11:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99