Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 175

Thread: Knoppix Version 3.4 Released

  1. #131
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6

    loop-aes with 2.6 kernel?

    I fear I just reinstalled my system for naught! Is there no loop-aes support in the 2.6 kernel?

  2. #132
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    24

    Re: Test :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfan
    *well sorry for those who want to try it with an SCSI connected PC..
    I did. And it worked. Maybe it was just plain luck. It was a PC with fairly standard hardware (and an Adaptec SCSI controller).

    Anyway, at home I had no option but to use 'noscsi'.

    Cheers...

  3. #133
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Add the gigabit Realtek 8169 in the network boostrap process

    Knoppix 3.4 rocks, Thanks !
    How can I add the gigabit Realtek 8169 in the network bootstrap process ?
    I can boot knoppix from the network (pxe, tftp, nfs, ...) using other network cards but this one. I suppose I have to recompile the miniroot.gz ... Thanks for any help, Gilles

    PS: Sorry, stupid question, I didn't read the manual...
    I just had to enable the right network modules when starting the Knoppix Terminal server to compile the right miniroot.gz and it works just great.
    Thanks Klaus !

  4. #134
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95

    Re: 2.6 kernel problem

    Quote Originally Posted by amigaman2
    hi;
    i just d/led it from the knoppix site and 2.6 doesn't get past scsi prob
    said failed ????(i forget then went on to st100 and just sat there.
    I didn't wait long though may not be stuck.
    2.4 still works with my hardware useing it now to write this.
    my hardware is:
    ecs k7s5a
    amd 1400 cpu
    nvidia geforce 2 mx 64meg
    ms optical mouse
    gerneric keyboard
    lg combo dvd/cdrw drive
    maxtor 40 gig
    256 sdram
    Funny, I have the same exact hardware that you have there Well ok, got a different cd writer and harddisk. The "noscsi" cheatcode did the job for me, so you might wanna try again with the 2.6 kernel!

  5. #135
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    8

    Re: Test :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    Well I hope despite to the bugs you guys are satisfied with the release anyway

    cu

    Fabian
    As a newbie that fell in Love with Knoppix 3.3, I can only say that over all IM tickled Pink--))))

    IM running a P-4 2.6 Gig, over 700 Meg of RAM, nVida GeForce TI 4200 and I have installed 3.4 to a 80 Gig Drive that I use just for Linux.

    Both kernel's boot fine.

    I have had very monior problems and they are:

    Over all sound notifications in 2.4 will not work, yet sound in individual apps function fine--)))

    In 2.6 I have the known mouse wheel problem where it just don't function.

    My Nvidia card isn't recoganized for driver installation, which I beleive is due to Nvidia not being open source. I have d/l the latest install pkg from Nvidia. Have not installed it yet. IM chicken--)))) I dont want to hose all the work I have done so far. So that should be a good indication how much I like and value the 3.4 distro--)))) I don't understand enough to attempt to install yet, but will soon--)))

    Shockwave/Flash, no plugins by default for cruising the web with either Mozilla or Konqueror.

    IM reading my butt off try to learn debian and Linux overall. My goal is to migrate completey off of windows. Im loving this open source software.--)))

    This to me would not be in my forecast if it were not for Knoppix! So a Big Thanks to You and Klauss for making this possible!

    I just can't express enough my appreciation to ALL involved in creating Knoppix and this latest Distro!--)))

    Finally in closing, I got my Net Gear PS101 Wireless Printserver working via Cups and my HP Laserjet workhorse 6p prints like a charm!

    Thanks again!!!!!!!!

  6. #136
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    16

    Linux26 noscsi loses user passwords

    Hi team!

    I bumped into a most bizzare issue with the 3.4. release...

    I tried installing 3.4 on to a Compaq DeskproEN (1Ghz PIII, 256 RAM, ATI AiW 128 Rage Pro 32 MB). After trying the
    linux26 option,
    it didn't work until I added
    linux26 noscsi.
    So far - so good.

    What I did next was to launch #knoppix-installer. Weird thing is that I DID enter passwords for both root + user (regardless of how nagging the full name request is), and as soon as I rebooted, I could NOT login to the system neither through kdm, nor through tty1 console. Regardless of how I tried, I never got to enter the system KDM does display the root and user accounts, but does NOT accept passwords. At first I thought I had the CAPS on during install or something, but after trying virtually all possible combinations (caps on/off), gave up.

    I am pretty sure it is my fault. I mean it is my first time trying the knoppix-installer. Any idea?

    Smith
    p.s. where did the good-ol' knx-hdinstall go???

  7. #137
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202
    try knoppix single or linux single at boot time.
    If it works then
    passwd (to choose a new password))

  8. #138
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    27

    VMWare under Knoppix 3.4

    Quote Originally Posted by scottknl
    I used the following command to set gcc to version 2.9.5.
    export CC=/usr/bin/gcc2.95

    Then just run the vmware install.
    I think that depends upon the VMWare version. Doing what you suggested I was also able to install the version 4.0.5 but not the newer 4.5.1 which gave me an error:

    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only'
    bridge.c: In function `VNetBridgeReceiveFromVNet':
    bridge.c:346: structure has no member named `sk_wmem_alloc'
    make: *** [bridge.o] Error 1
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only'
    Unable to build the vmnet module.

    Never mind ... the version 4.0.5 works fine.

    Thanks,

    Tim

  9. #139
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    - knoppix alsa will do

    For the second one:

    You can be the first one that can try the new "nofstab" cheatcode .

    You can also boot with "knoppix26 modules-disk" to just choose your SCSI-controller... (the name is misleading)
    Thanks for the tips. I'll report back when I've tried it out.

  10. #140
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo-Rio
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    - knoppix alsa will do

    For the second one:

    You can be the first one that can try the new "nofstab" cheatcode .

    You can also boot with "knoppix26 modules-disk" to just choose your SCSI-controller... (the name is misleading)
    Thanks for the tips. I'll report back when I've tried it out.
    OK, here's the deal.
    My cheatcode line was'-

    linux26 knoppix alsa noscsi nofstab

    Everything went to plan on bootup.... 2.6 kernel, alsa detected, scsi and fstab skipped completely.
    On booting, KDE threw up an error though: Kmix crashed and threw the signal 8 (SIGFPE)
    And sound still doesn't work

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.7 officially released
    By probono in forum News
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 01:05 AM
  2. When will Knoppix 3.8 be released?
    By anton123 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 07:13 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 07:49 AM
  4. Knoppix 3.2 2003-03-21 released
    By Tigren in forum News
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 09:54 PM
  5. KNOPPIX 2002-12-12 Released
    By eadz in forum News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 02:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB BATTERY ISSUE

$474.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X1050 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games picture

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X1050 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games

$389.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Apple Macbook Pro 14

Apple Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$614.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors picture

Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors

$290.00