Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 175

Thread: Knoppix Version 3.4 Released

  1. #141
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    27
    Even in Linux2.4, sound doesn't work. I'm laying the blame on the shoddy SiI SATA RAID drivers and my mobo. Any chance of a "nosata" cheat code?

    Also, some of the games that require full screen, like enigma and the nethack Falcon's eye are completely borking my display. I'm running at 1280x1024, and the screen is turning into a pile of lines, all out of sync.

  2. #142
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    26
    Suggestions for 3.4 5-10 HD Install issue?

    Here's the output after a restart into a HD beginner install:

    root@knoppixlt:/home/jack# netcardconfig
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified
    Xdialog: Error initializing the GUI...
    Do you run under X11 with GTK+ v1.2.0+ installed ?


    Any ideas never had an issue with 3.3?

  3. #143
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    26
    Heres another, it only happens with root , not my user id?

    root@knoppixlt:/home/jack# glxinfo
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

    Error: unable to open display (null)

    Ideas?

  4. #144
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    13
    I DID enter passwords for both root + user (regardless of how nagging the full name request is), and as soon as I rebooted, I could NOT login to the system neither through kdm, nor through tty1 console. Regardless of how I tried, I never got to enter the system KDM does display the root and user accounts, but does NOT accept passwords.
    Try pushing the key to activate the numbers at the alphanumeric keys.

    It happend something similar to me with a compaq notebook.

    Regards

  5. #145
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I always use the Debian hdinstall. Could someone please explain the differences between that and the beginner/knoppix way?

    TIA,
    AJG

  6. #146
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    17
    Let me know if the following is covered somewhere else, but...

    The 3.4 May 10th release does not recognize my Linksys WUSB V2.8 wireless device. Since it is hooked up to a desktop, and the system is upstairs, I'd like to avoid having to carry everything up and down to get Knoppix going.

    I installed to the HD using the recommended option, thinking that I could then build the Atmel Drivers from the Belios site, and got a nice Debian system. However, the source for the kernel is mislinked (everything points to the 2.4 stuff even though booting into 2.6), and so I am unable to compile the Atmel drivers to enable the network card.

    Any way to setup the proper 2.6 directories and links? I assume I need to DL some headers and other files? Seems like I have a bit of a catch-22 here and would appreciate some help.

    Thanks in advance!

  7. #147
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    18
    Yeah Where are the kernel headers for the 2.6 kernel?

    Anyone????

  8. #148
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5

    3.4 terminal server?

    Knoppix 3.4 rocks, Thanks !
    How can I add the gigabit Realtek 8169 in the network bootstrap process ?
    I can boot knoppix from the network (pxe, tftp, nfs, ...) using other network cards but this one. I suppose I have to recompile the miniroot.gz ... Thanks for any help, Gilles

    PS: Sorry, stupid question, I didn't read the manual...
    I just had to enable the right network modules when starting the Knoppix Terminal server to compile the right miniroot.gz and it works just great.
    Which manual are we talking about? I haven't found one yet, and it seems anything but simple. I am having a heck of a time trying to get a 3.4 terminal server working. The newly booted machine is not getting its interface together, which prevents it from mounting the KNOPPIX. It appears that it is trying to use the af_packet module to get the nic, but there doesn't seem to be anything binding it to eth0. What I see first is that the ifconfig eth0 in linuxrc fails, first because there is no /sbin/modprobe; and if I remaster the miniroot to get one, then it can't find an eth0. Then, ignoring that, linuxrc appears to ignore the nodhcp option that is given in the pxelinux.cfg/default file, and tries to dhcp.

    I'd like to think that I'm blind and have just missed the doc that explains
    how one needs to reconfigure the miniroot so that you get the right network drivers, but I haven't found it yet. The <a href=http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqPXE> FaqPXE </a> page doesn't seem to touch on this. I don't want a floppy at all, or have to configure the miniroot -- I'd like it to pick up the UNDI PXE driver for the initial NFS mount, then if needed discover the better driver once more of the system is up. Perhaps this is implausible?

    thanks,
    -dB
    [/quote]

  9. #149
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: 3.4 terminal server?

    Quote Originally Posted by dbrower
    Knoppix 3.4 rocks, Thanks !
    How can I add the gigabit Realtek 8169 in the network bootstrap process ?
    I can boot knoppix from the network (pxe, tftp, nfs, ...) using other network cards but this one. I suppose I have to recompile the miniroot.gz ... Thanks for any help, Gilles

    PS: Sorry, stupid question, I didn't read the manual...
    I just had to enable the right network modules when starting the Knoppix Terminal server to compile the right miniroot.gz and it works just great.
    Which manual are we talking about? I haven't found one yet, and it seems anything but simple. I am having a heck of a time trying to get a 3.4 terminal server working. The newly booted machine is not getting its interface together, which prevents it from mounting the KNOPPIX. It appears that it is trying to use the af_packet module to get the nic, but there doesn't seem to be anything binding it to eth0. What I see first is that the ifconfig eth0 in linuxrc fails, first because there is no /sbin/modprobe; and if I remaster the miniroot to get one, then it can't find an eth0. Then, ignoring that, linuxrc appears to ignore the nodhcp option that is given in the pxelinux.cfg/default file, and tries to dhcp.

    I'd like to think that I'm blind and have just missed the doc that explains
    how one needs to reconfigure the miniroot so that you get the right network drivers, but I haven't found it yet. The <a href=http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqPXE> FaqPXE </a> page doesn't seem to touch on this. I don't want a floppy at all, or have to configure the miniroot -- I'd like it to pick up the UNDI PXE driver for the initial NFS mount, then if needed discover the better driver once more of the system is up. Perhaps this is implausible?

    thanks,
    -dB
    [/quote]

    Well, by manual, I meant selecting the right network cards AND deselecting the unused ones to avoid any conflict during the Knoppix Terminal server script which creates the miniroot.gz. I got it working with both the Realtek 8169 and Intel E1000 gigabits cards. I used grub and/or grub4dos to load the pxe module of the non pxe 8169 card. The intel includes the pxe rom. I noticed that the Terminal server script works better when using 2 network adapters (wan+lan) and then knoppix works also as a router and do the nat on the lan. After running the script you may need to reenable the card(s) using "ifconfig eth0(1) up" or reconfigure the adapter using the knoppix menu. You can verify that knoppix recognized your card by using "ifconfig -a" and check if the card is up with the right ip. I actually transferred the cd content and the boot files on my OpenBSD server with nfs and tftp running to boot knoppix from it. I hope this will help and that you can get your config up and running.
    Cheers, Gilles

  10. #150
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5

    terminal server configuration.

    I understand now. I had not run through the complete server config,
    and when I copied the /tftpboot stuff to the actual machine that is my
    dhcp/pxe server, it was unconfigured with the unmodified contents of
    /tftpboot, which would not work.

    I do not like having to pre-configure the network drivers. I think it would
    be better to have a bigger miniroot that contained all the net drivers
    and did its own detection, as the cdrom version does. I may whack
    that together. Since we're going to end up copying 100 MB of stuff
    eventually, copying the additional 6M of more network modules in
    the miniroot doesn't seem like much of a burden.

    thanks,
    -dB

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.7 officially released
    By probono in forum News
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 01:05 AM
  2. When will Knoppix 3.8 be released?
    By anton123 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 07:13 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 07:49 AM
  4. Knoppix 3.2 2003-03-21 released
    By Tigren in forum News
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 09:54 PM
  5. KNOPPIX 2002-12-12 Released
    By eadz in forum News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 02:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72