-
Help to a newbie:)
Hi there,
I have been using Knoppix for 3days and have some quesitons.
1.Is there any file that installs itself?
2.Is there any part that I can see what programs I have, so I can remove them...
3.Is there a package update program in knoppix, I read someting like this in redhat. If it is present how to find it.
4.I have a second partition on my HDD, which is NTFS, can I browse it?
Thank you
-
1. Yes, some files can install themselves. Even the ones that don't install themselves are not hard to install once you know how.
2. You can use KPackage from the K menu in the System section. It can do some package installation and removal. Synaptic is another popular graphical front end. Real men use aptitude in a terminal. You can also install software by just typing:
apt-get install the-software-you want
Apt-get is used in a terminal to add or remove software. You use "apt-get install whatever" or "apt-get remove whatever". The downside to apt-get is you have to know the name of what you want to install, so you can't browse with it.
3. "apt-get update" will update your list of packages that are available according to your list of package sources. I think kpackage does this also, but I'm not sure since I use aptitude. So yes, there is are several tools to update. Try kpackage, or synaptic, or aptitude.
4. Yes.
On the K menu (after you boot knoppix) there is an item called "Help" that has a user guide for KDE and a lot of other basic info, including the questions you posted.
Also, at the top of this page is a link to the "Docs" area of the site. Many will be too technical for you now, but after you exhaust the Help system you can look there for your more advanced questions.
Similar Threads
-
By Baby_Face in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-01-2004, 02:14 PM
-
By mrcool in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-21-2003, 07:19 AM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By nofori in forum The Lounge
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 10:02 AM
-
By KH in forum The Lounge
Replies: 31
Last Post: 05-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC
$73.00