I have decided to solely use my Knoppix distro as my only OS, and have since deleted my NTFS partition.
I was wondering how I would go about making my ext2 partition take up the entirety of the free space
-Thanks in advance.
I have decided to solely use my Knoppix distro as my only OS, and have since deleted my NTFS partition.
I was wondering how I would go about making my ext2 partition take up the entirety of the free space
-Thanks in advance.
Hmmm well there is qtparted but i dunno about trying to resize ext2 over an old ntfs partition. I won't say it can't be done but I will say that I wouldn't do it.
Might I suggest that you drop the windows philosophy of "one big partition is good" because it is not. In fact it is a waste of your hdd IMHO.
When you need to change something or you run out of space because you've stored so many mp3's you will be glad you have multiple partitions.
Here's how I have my 40G drive partitioned:
/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/hda2 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /precious type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda7 on /var type ext3 (rw)
hda8 Logical Linux ext3 1003.49
hda9 Logical Linux 1998.75
hda10 Logical Linux ext3 4992.75
hda11 Logical Linux ext3 15002.92
hda12 Logical Linux ext3 5000.98
As you can see partitions 1,2,3,6 & 7 are for the operating system. This is not necessary (but easy to do during installation). The other partitions I use for storage of music, remastering, etc and one partition never changes as it has certain documents that I really neeed to have. I can erase and reinstall Linux (in the event that I hose it up beyond repair) and I don't worry about the rest of my data.
OK. Here's my problem:
I have deleted my NTFS, and have made myself a nice new partition (hda3, which was my previous NTFS partition's name), however, I can not mount it under my Linux OS...
What do I do now?
Well technically speaking you can't mount a partition. What you actually mount is the filesystem on the partition. So.......create a filesystem.I prefer ext3 so I would do this:
mke2fs -j /dev/hda3
OK. One more thing:
My Info Center says that I have hda3 as an NTFS partition, even though I have deleted this partition. What do I do?
You've deleted the partition, but it's still formatted ntfs.
Try mzilikazi's suggestion (as root)
mke2fs -j /dev/hda3
Did you change the partition type with
cfdisk /dev/hda3 ?
Ciao Martin
OK. I tricked my CFDisk into making my new partition 'hda4', which has never before existed on my computer.
I have made it an ext2 partition, as I have had troubles with ext3.
When I try to run 'mount /dev/hda4', it says 'cannot find /dev/hda4 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab'
What do I do?
Post your /etc/fstab.......
The output of fdisk -l would be nice to see as well and just how did you go about "tricking" cfdisk to create a new partition.

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95
Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99
Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28
Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07
Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00
Cisco CP-8851-3PW-NA-K9 IP Phone MPP Multiplatform VoIP 4 New Open Box
$74.99
Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99
Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$18.95
Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99
YEALINK T34W PHONE & 2 MONTHS OF PHONE SERVICE
$65.00