-
Junior Member
registered user
OK. You subliminally told me exactly how to mount my hda4, and I thank you very much for it 
And as for tricking it, I just created a 10MB part at the end of my drive which became hda3, created a real part for hda4 and deleted hda4.
Then I discovered it wasn't necessary, as all I had to do was edit my FStab
Thanks a heap guys!
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
chrisjrn
OK. I tricked my CFDisk into making my new partition 'hda4', which has never before existed on my computer.
I have made it an ext2 partition, as I have had troubles with ext3.
When I try to run 'mount /dev/hda4', it says 'cannot find /dev/hda4 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab'
What do I do?
You didn't trick cfdisk. It's quite normal to have /dev/hda4 IF you make 4 primary partitions.
Otherwise the extended partitions all reside in partition #4 (if you have 3 other primary parts) and it is therefor not seen by partitioning apps.
Secondly, not being able to mount the drive had absolutely nothinhg to do with fstab. You just needed the full command:
mount /dev/hda4 /mount/point
The file /etc/fstab just makes life easier for you by providing the answer to "mount it where?". Glad you got it working.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Similar Threads
-
By florin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-07-2005, 02:11 AM
-
By Klato in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 06:16 PM
-
By technoronin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-19-2004, 01:36 AM
-
By eric2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2004, 11:36 AM
-
By silkodyssey in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-12-2003, 02:16 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D
$142.50