Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: V 3.4 megaraid.o segmentation fault and 2.6 knoppix26

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8

    V 3.4 megaraid.o segmentation fault and 2.6 knoppix26

    I get a segmentation fault on V 3.4 while booting into the 2.6 kernel. I found the workaround to be to specify the noscsi cheatcode on the boot: line.

    System details:
    Shuttle MN31N motherboard with Nvidia MCP sound
    Gigabyte Radeon 9200 video

    Otherwise, a pretty generic system. Here's the boot line I used:
    knoppix26 noscsi dma xmodule=radeon xvrefresh=85 screen=1024x768 lang=us

    Since I had a free ReiserFS partition on my hd I also specified tohd=/dev/hda4 to copy the CD to the hd.

    I must say Knoppix 3.4 is working beautifully!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    15
    thanks funky rat

    I was getting the same error and did not have a clue how to fix it

    all is now well

    good on ya


  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    35
    I had the same error, indeed.
    This Knoppix has a lot of "boot good, or don't boot at all"
    (getting the Syslinux splash screen in a corrupted way all over the screen).

    networking seems broken somehow, both kernel2.4/2.6
    in VMware, AMD PCnet driver (and eth0) not loaded
    (but kernel26 detects it)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I got it also, but funky rat's fix worked.

    I did notice that the "initiating Startup Sequence" is missing when booting 2.6 - not that it's a big deal or anything, but I thought that it might be diagnostic.

    When I use the following cheat code, things go real slow (particularly mouse):
    knoppix26 noscsi myconfig=scan home=/dev/hdb5/
    not sure why. Seems to work OK without the persistent home flag.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    66
    yea, i had this problem with the first few releases of 3.3, it is was problem with my Nforce2 chipset, and the Silcone SATA onboard adator, and noscis worked great, but now when I do it I get no sound out of 2.6, but I don't even have this problem in 2.4?? Weird.

    P.s. I have a Asus A7N8X deluxe mobo

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I have the same mobo, or a variant, IIRC, and the chipset, but not the SATA. My computer is stock HP Pavilion 735n (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00005300) with an extra HD, Athlon XP, 512MB.

    I didn't think about sound as a whole - I'll have to test that, but at least the startup and shutdown sound file were missing with 2.6, irrespective of cheatcodes. The mouse problems were worse with 2.6 than 2.4, but didn't get really bad until I added the persistent home (last night was the first time I used it, and it worked great with 2.4)

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    17
    The cheatcode of boot: knoppix26 noscsi
    also appears reported necessary at:

    boot:knoppix26 = Probing SCSI megaraid.o Segmentation fault
    http://linuxiso.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17974

    I needed noscsi myself for the first two PC's I tried: a desktop and a laptop.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16
    "knoppix26 noscsi" or "linux26 noscsi" works for me too.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I haven't needed noscsi with the 05-10 release. Might want to try it out if you haven't already.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    17
    boot: knoppix26
    now works for me when I try 2004-05-10 EN Knoppix 3.4, as opposed to 2004-05-04. Disappointingly, I see the `uname -srvm` does not distinguish the -04 from the -10 disc. From both I get:

    $ uname -srvm
    Linux 2.6.5 #1 SMP Sat May 1 22:31:22 CEST 2004 i686
    $

Similar Threads

  1. LS Segmentation Fault?!
    By Keilaron in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 05:07 AM
  2. Segmentation Fault in Knoppix 3.8
    By bluestick in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 11:09 AM
  3. segmentation fault
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 05:33 AM
  4. Segmentation fault with Qgo
    By ZeroKun in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 12:44 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 06:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p

$89.99



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99