thanks funky rat
I was getting the same error and did not have a clue how to fix it
all is now well
good on ya
![]()
![]()
I get a segmentation fault on V 3.4 while booting into the 2.6 kernel. I found the workaround to be to specify the noscsi cheatcode on the boot: line.
System details:
Shuttle MN31N motherboard with Nvidia MCP sound
Gigabyte Radeon 9200 video
Otherwise, a pretty generic system. Here's the boot line I used:
knoppix26 noscsi dma xmodule=radeon xvrefresh=85 screen=1024x768 lang=us
Since I had a free ReiserFS partition on my hd I also specified tohd=/dev/hda4 to copy the CD to the hd.
I must say Knoppix 3.4 is working beautifully!
thanks funky rat
I was getting the same error and did not have a clue how to fix it
all is now well
good on ya
![]()
![]()
I had the same error, indeed.
This Knoppix has a lot of "boot good, or don't boot at all"
(getting the Syslinux splash screen in a corrupted way all over the screen).
networking seems broken somehow, both kernel2.4/2.6
in VMware, AMD PCnet driver (and eth0) not loaded
(but kernel26 detects it)
I got it also, but funky rat's fix worked.
I did notice that the "initiating Startup Sequence" is missing when booting 2.6 - not that it's a big deal or anything, but I thought that it might be diagnostic.
When I use the following cheat code, things go real slow (particularly mouse):
knoppix26 noscsi myconfig=scan home=/dev/hdb5/
not sure why. Seems to work OK without the persistent home flag.
yea, i had this problem with the first few releases of 3.3, it is was problem with my Nforce2 chipset, and the Silcone SATA onboard adator, and noscis worked great, but now when I do it I get no sound out of 2.6, but I don't even have this problem in 2.4?? Weird.
P.s. I have a Asus A7N8X deluxe mobo
I have the same mobo, or a variant, IIRC, and the chipset, but not the SATA. My computer is stock HP Pavilion 735n (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00005300) with an extra HD, Athlon XP, 512MB.
I didn't think about sound as a whole - I'll have to test that, but at least the startup and shutdown sound file were missing with 2.6, irrespective of cheatcodes. The mouse problems were worse with 2.6 than 2.4, but didn't get really bad until I added the persistent home (last night was the first time I used it, and it worked great with 2.4)
The cheatcode of boot: knoppix26 noscsi
also appears reported necessary at:
boot:knoppix26 = Probing SCSI megaraid.o Segmentation fault
http://linuxiso.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17974
I needed noscsi myself for the first two PC's I tried: a desktop and a laptop.
"knoppix26 noscsi" or "linux26 noscsi" works for me too.
I haven't needed noscsi with the 05-10 release. Might want to try it out if you haven't already.
boot: knoppix26
now works for me when I try 2004-05-10 EN Knoppix 3.4, as opposed to 2004-05-04. Disappointingly, I see the `uname -srvm` does not distinguish the -04 from the -10 disc. From both I get:
$ uname -srvm
Linux 2.6.5 #1 SMP Sat May 1 22:31:22 CEST 2004 i686
$

11 Vintage Apple 3.5" Floppy Disc Label
$10.00
Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00
Apple IIe Vintage Personal Computer A2S2064
$199.99
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00
Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals
$50.00
Kineses PS/2 Keyboard to Macintosh Adapter Converter Vintage Interface Apple
$60.00
Apple Computer cards Super Serial SCSI AST -Orange Micro ++ Vintage 1980's
$169.00
VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh M1212 Color Display Monitor *Untested*
$69.99