-
Senior Member
registered user
BaldYeti,
I agree with some of what you say, and some of what you say, I don't...
Yes, Knoppix is great, I wouldn't go anywhere else for my Linux, given that, I have had way too many apt-get horrors, probably due to the fact that IT IS unstable/testing/stable all rolled into one, but, none the less, IT WOULD be nice to be current. This coming from someone who knows the first apt-get install /or/ apt-get upgrade _is_ going to try and mess up my system. Being on v3.3, and having a few "packages" that are "out-of-date", like KDE, the kernel, etc... to what is "currently" on the apt-get, like v3.4 - I fear the first time I loose my bearings, and don't think, I am going to scramble my system, to the point that, re-install with the new version will be the ONLY option, whereas, now, I can be happy knowing that almost every package I want to install, will cause a "major" upgrade that "will" scramble the system.
True, I have a choice: stay back in "old version" world, and not be able to use some of the newer packages that will only install with dependancies that can only be met in v3.4 - OR - I can blow away my complete system, and install v3.4 from scratch - OR - as you say, attempt, to use the dist-upgrade, and pray it doesn't FORCE me to do the second option I mentioned.
All of this would be much easier, if, as Eco2Geek suggested, a upgrade option was available from a version of Knoppix, when someone CHOOSES to have it on there hard drive. It can't be that difficult, M$ has done it for years with 3.x to Win95, from Win95 to Win98, not sure if it goes any higher, I stopped with M$ OS's in Win98 - but they do it, it can't be that hard to do the same in Knoppix, and it would save a lot of headaches for those of us who chose to install, instead of just playing with the Live CD.
Its a valid idea, and I feel it is one that has been missed in any of the versions of Knoppix...
Just my thoughts,
Ms. Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By black_out in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-08-2005, 07:39 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-02-2004, 03:39 PM
-
By yanggers in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-16-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By MinDFreeZ in forum The Lounge
Replies: 19
Last Post: 12-08-2003, 03:37 AM
-
By aay in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-30-2003, 06:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

USB 2.0 Flash Drive 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Thumb Memory Stick Multi Pack Bulk Lot
$1082.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick
$165.90