I'm all for the live-distro of linux also being the way it installs to the harddrive. The fact that someone can see Linux run from a cd, then say, hmmm maybe it would even run better (which it will) from the harddrive, and just click to install, no looking for instructions or anything, I think that could aid the spread of linux more than just about anything. It almost gets linux on to people's computers accidentally. I think that there are many existing apps that, for a new user, simplify the install process hugely over a regular install, and creating an interface to install in the x-window environment should be easier, with better results, than a regular-type install. Just one thing, make it work, and then to make it work better, and make it updateable far into the future. (a windows 98 copy still goes on the same as it always did, but then when you put in all those updates and add-ons, it becomes something more, Linux needs to learn from that lesson to become more widely used.) I've used a knoppix-variant called Overclockix, that had a simple desktop icon to initiate 'install to harddrive' which was very impressive. (The result was full of eye-candy, but the distro itself needed a little polishing) The actual install wasn't bad at all, and was easily accessible. One more thing though... That lilo... ugh! if you are going to commandeer the boot-up of the computer, best to make it look nicer!