-
Boot problems from external CD on Dell Latitude D400
Hi,
trying to rescue some data for a friend from a banjaxed Dell PC which was running WinXP Pro. It is a work PC and I am trying to get some files off quickly prior to the laptop being sent back to IT support.
***
List of some things I can't do which might fix stuff:
boot from floppy (BIOS settings are password locked and only look at CD and HD).
Repair WinXP Pro (don't have the admin password).
***
Using the Knoppix ISO V3.3 [16-02-2004]
I have the (apparently well known) problem that the CD bootstraps O.K. (using BIOS?) but then drops back to a restricted shell when trying to find the filestore for the full boot (no CD driver in Knoppix).
I have looked for ways of fixing it, but no luck so far.
I note that the CD uses 'el torito' to boot; now I can boot the latest version of FreeDOS, again using 'el torito', but unfortunately can't see the XP Pro NTFS hard drive.
So 'el torito' should work (a previous version of FreeDOS with an earlier 'el torito' didn't).
I can also see references to drivers from Dell for MSDOS use of the CD, but haven't so far found any Linux drivers.
I have tried various cheat codes without luck.
I have seen solutions which rely on installing the ISO on the HD (using another O/S) and adding stuff there - but I can't get to the HD because I don't have a bootable O/S.
So:
can anyone point me to a CD driver for Linux for the external drive(s) on the Dell Latitude D400?
I guess I would then have to repackage the CD to include this driver and also guess that the instructions are on this site somewhere 
Any help much appreciated.
Cheers
Dave R
-
Smart Boot Manager will let you boot the CD's which can't be booted because of el'torito booting issues. It's usually older drives, like on my 99 laptop which have issues with the larger boot images on the Openmosix kernels for example.
the fact that your machine bootstraps, and gets started, means that the cd drive sees the disk.
sounds odd,
also, Austrumi linux lets you change the XP admin password, it's got an ntpass startup.
www.distrowatch.lcom
It's a mini distro.
edit:
Not many pc's allow a person to boot from a USB drive... so..
Similar Threads
-
By Reverend in forum Laptops
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-18-2004, 07:27 AM
-
By anotherulrich in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 07:26 PM
-
By mubz in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-23-2003, 02:33 AM
-
By manupeto in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-16-2003, 05:16 PM
-
By Phredd in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 10-10-2003, 02:03 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Samsung 2.5" MZ-ZLN512C 512GB SATA III 6Gbps SSD MZ7LN512HAJQ-000H1
$49.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Timetec MS10 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 3D NAND SSD 35TTFP6PCIE-1TB
$89.99

WD Blue DRIVE SSD 250gb Internal SATA Solid State Drive for Laptops
$39.99