Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Samba problem, errors on startup.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Posts
    9

    Samba problem, errors on startup.

    I am making a file server remaster so that I can create a fileserver out of anything without having to install and configure all the services each time. However, I've run into a little problem.
    When I have the image extracted (The compressed file system image) and I start samba when I'm chrooted it works perfectly. However when I compress the file system and start samba it gives me a huge number of errors.

    In the log file it says:
    smbd version 3.0.2-Debian started
    and then a few seconds later
    Unable to open printcap file /etc/printcap for read!
    Failed to open /var/lib/samba/secrets.tdb

    But it only shows this when I have compressed the image and am booting from it.
    I was wondering how do I get this working? I already have everything else working. (FTP Server, SSH Server (static keys), network config))

    Any help is welcome,

    - Robbert

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Posts
    9
    This is just an update.

    I have beenable to get rid of the "Unable to open printcap file", by removing the print capabilities in the smb.conf file. I did this since I'm not gonna use this anyway. However I am still having the other problems, and I can't figure out why.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Posts
    9
    Well I took a few days off, but when I returned a few more hours of work, and I finally got Samba running. The problem seems to be that the files in the /var/lib/samba directory are symlinked to /KNOPPIX/var/lib/samba. To fix the issue I remove the links and replace the files with the origionlas before I start samba.

    That fixed all of my problems

Similar Threads

  1. Drive CRC errors upon startup after HD install
    By allanorn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 06:06 PM
  2. Knoppix Live 3.4 Startup Problem
    By nitaliano in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 03:14 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 10:59 PM
  4. Problem with apt-get update - unstable repository errors
    By Durand Hicks in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2004, 03:42 AM
  5. SAMBA Question/problem
    By tl1moss in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-28-2003, 02:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854 picture

IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854

$225.00



Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs picture

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs

$49.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$54.99