Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: XWindows Problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    3

    XWindows Problem

    Hi all
    I am new here at KNOPPIX form...just got ma hands dirty with KNOPPIX 3.1 distro. I am having some problems here. When I pop in KNOPPIX CD,it works fine, boots well,but when I boot to GNOME or KDE by
    knoppix desktop = desktop = gnome
    it works fine, it initialises GNOME, then a black background of KNOPPIX (that is default background, I guess) , and it halts there.. Nomore progress. And the screen is halted atthat KNOPPIX default wallpaper, no ICON appears on it and i t stays like this until I make a forced reboot.

    When I boot KNOPPIX in run level 2 by
    knoppix 2
    it works fine atthis run level..shows every directory/ file, works fine with any kind of service.

    I hope that anyone would like to contribute towards this problem (or may be a problem). I am already impressed by this LIVE CD DISTRO of linux. Greatwork done by developers and on-the-fly decompression for bundled softwares worked in a greatway. Have already seen and impressed by command line / run level 2.

    I hope that anyone would help me with this, and that would be indeed a great effort for me to migrate from Micro$oft to FREEDOM.
    Thank you
    Ommy

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well first of all, you're using a very very old version of Knoppix. Now I realize that it may not be possible for you to simply download the latest version but if you can it would be an extremely good idea to do so. That said.......

    What graphics hardware do you have?

    Video card model/chipset
    Monitor type

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    3
    sorry.. I should have mentioned the hardware I am using...
    first of all I have tried this cd on multiple boxes, with different hardware in place, it had almost booted fine on every hardware that I have experimented , till that black desktop knoppix wallpaper appears and stuck.
    Though my home box where I experiment alots of stuff is having an ATI Raedon 9000 graphics adapter that is detected by the KNOPPIX on the first hand.
    The monitor I use is a standard 15 inch dell monitor with a refresh rate of 75 Hz. And the maximum resolution that is supports 2048 by 1536. In my opinion it is detecting not only hardware attached but also probing SCSI drives for detection which I dont have one. Infact as far as the HCL is concerned, I guess it already had more then enough support.
    I am also trying to download the latest knoppix ISO but pathetic internet connection is a hindrance. But would get hold of this ISO in this week surely.
    Thanks for reading out and helping out. I expect more serious advice on this.
    Ommy

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    3
    I am waitin for a reply...pppl

Similar Threads

  1. Installing without XWindows
    By akie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:34 AM
  2. connecting to solaris with xwindows and opengl
    By 00zero in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 01:31 AM
  3. xwindows not working
    By malachi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:01 PM
  4. a7a266 lockups on xwindows startup
    By hapbt in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 09:50 PM
  5. monitor signal dies when xwindows starts
    By carpe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2003, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99