Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mouse freezes

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3

    Mouse freezes

    Hi guys, I'm new to Knoppix. I borrowed a version 3.3 CD from my friend to check some stuff during a Windows install, and the mouse locks up. The OS still works, but using the keyboard is a pain and being very new to Linux doesn't help. This happened several times. Every time I was seaching though my hard drive. Its a cheapo Memorex optical mouse hooked up via the PS/2 port that works fine in Windows 2k. For when I setup my Knoppix CD, is there something I can do to prevent this from happening again? Will post hardware specs if needed.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    mouse woes....

    Yes, I had same problem when i got a new optical mouse....Unfortunatly KNOPPIX does not support those kind of mice yet. Your best bet is to use a regular serial or usb mouse.....hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    Ahh I see.

    All I have is an Optical cuz I can't stand regular mice:/ I hope this gets added soon. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    17
    I'm using a Logitech optical usb mouse with no problems.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    66
    ummm... I have used my PS/2 connected MS Explorer mouse optical since version 3.x and have had no problems, so it is not a problem with optical mice, it is probably a problem with the mouse chosen in Xfree86, but usually it results from some other piece of hardware (what I have noticed in multiple environments) not the mouse directly.

    Have you tried the 'nowheelmouse' cheat to see if that is the problem (or was it that you had to enable the wheelmouse in 3.3, mind is drawing a blank), and have you booted with the testcd option to verify that the disk is good. You may just want to go and DL the newest 3.4 that was released yesterday, then you could try to see if the problem was fixed with some driver upgrade.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Disk11,

    Interesting, I am running Knoppix v3.3, used to run it through the CD, but for more than four months now, been running on a hard drive install...

    But, I have always used a Ps/2 mouse, for more than six months now, first five months was a Microsoft Optical Explorer (wheel) mouse, and now, my old one was going "flakey", and is a "no name" brand, wheel optical mouse - both work fine. The problem I was having with my old mouse, causing me to replace it, was it would skip across the screen, and usually click on my KMenu, even though I didn't move the mouse physically. (I think the optical was going out on it)

    Once replaced, no more problems again. Don't know what to say, I have heard people with problems on a USB mouse, and very few on PS/2 - but thats me.

    Hope this helps,
    Cuddles

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    My optical PS/2 mouse works beautifully in 3.4 with 2.4 kernel. It seemed a little sluggish early on with the 2.6 kernel, but most of that has cleared up (I had errors in my persistent home directory - once resolved, things got much better).

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    Have you tried the 'nowheelmouse' cheat to see if that is the problem (or was it that you had to enable the wheelmouse in 3.3, mind is drawing a blank), and have you booted with the testcd option to verify that the disk is good. You may just want to go and DL the newest 3.4 that was released yesterday, then you could try to see if the problem was fixed with some driver upgrade.
    I just booted off the CD, and as I searched through my hard drive partition, it locked up.

    I just need to get some RW cds for Knoppix and figure this issue out. Thanks for all the help.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    My optical PS/2 mouse works beautifully in 3.4 with 2.4 kernel. It seemed a little sluggish early on with the 2.6 kernel, but most of that has cleared up (I had errors in my persistent home directory - once resolved, things got much better).
    Well, OK, maybe all is NOT so well. Even with 2.4 kernel, if I use persistent home and myconfig boot flags, my mouse just flat is not working. To my knowledge I haven't changed anything that would affect it. I did try to install captive NTFS, and got several errors, but I can't imagine that it impacted my mouse. Also, the clock problem seems to be causing a lot of text to appear in the boot process - something to the effect that one aspect or another of my configuration occurs in the future - but no evidence that the OS disregarded or wasn't able to handle the instruction as a consequence. The clock issue seems like such a minor problem, but if it's causing errors to occur, then it's no longer minor.

    Of course, it occurs to me now that I should have verified that the PS/2 plug was still seated. I'm not at that computer, so if I find out later that this was a stupid PEBCAC issue, I'll edit and ask my press secretary, Emily Litella, to issue as statement.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    I'm using an optical mouse on my laptop without a problem. Here's a copy of the relevant section of xf86Config-4 file:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "ZaxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    EndSection

    Does it help if you used this for your optical mouse? I changed the protocol to explorerps/2 because that would make the optical mouse work with the wheelmouse on 2.6 as well as 2.4.

    HTH,

    Durand

Similar Threads

  1. v4.0 DVD freezes during Boot-Up
    By NetGeek in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 12:54 AM
  2. [help]Start up freezes
    By eris_pluvia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 12:08 PM
  3. Xmms freezes
    By pulsar in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 11:01 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.2 freezes up
    By Engon in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 12:15 AM
  5. how to make my Mouse Systems mouse work with knoppix?
    By clfest in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99