-
Hi,
I've gotten my Dell 600m laptop ( Centrino based ) to work with Knoppix 3.4 . One first thing to mention is that kernel 2.6 will not work. The module for Intel 2100 pro wireless isn't working and returns a funky error message when I tried to load it with 'modprobe'. So, use the default 2.4.26 kernel . The steps I am posting are from what I remember from yesterday night.
1. open a terminal and keep it open for step 2 and 5. ( optional ) and step 6. ( needed )
2. optionally, type 'iwconfig'. You now should see a eth0 device which points to the wlan card.( you may also do a 'lsmod' to see whether a module ipw2100 has been loaded )
3. now run the wlan configuration tool. You will start it from the desktop and not from the terminal. It comes with a GUI so it makes it a little less cryptic. You will find it under start - knoppix - internet ( not 100% sure about that order but you'll find it by clicking around )
4. You now got to know your WLAN setup parameters like ssid / channel and encryption key. That's because you got to enter them when prompted. Forget about entering extra info you don't know, you won't need it ( like module parameter ). When you are somewhat sure that everything is fine and the wlan config tool exit without any error, you most likely are ready to go except that you now need to start DHCP on eth0.
5. Optionally type again 'iwconfig'. Now, you should see an updated table for 'eth0' which should show you the correct SSID which you assigned when setting up the wireless router. BTW, I have not setup a SSID requirement for my wlan network but I have a encryption key. I can still see the SSID correctly retrieved.
6. As a final step, type 'netcardconfig'. Pick 'eth0' and if asked to start dhcp say yes. Exit the tool. To verify that you got finally a network running, type 'ifconfig' . You now hopefully see a device 'eth0' added ...
7.DONE.
Hope that helped. Forgive me if I missed or misspelled a configuration step. As I said I am typing this from my memory.
Dan.
Similar Threads
-
By squard in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-20-2005, 10:27 PM
-
By momceras in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-06-2005, 07:45 PM
-
By momceras in forum Laptops
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 10:32 PM
-
By muzicman82 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-23-2004, 12:51 AM
-
By andreas2000 in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
![Samsung Galaxy Tab 5 active [Untested for parts only ] picture](/store/img/g/Vs4AAeSwRbVqwATU/s-l225/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-5-active-Untested-for-parts-onl.jpg)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 5 active [Untested for parts only ]
$75.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor
$41.00

Dell Chromebook 11 3100 11.6'' I 4020 4GB 16GB VERY CLEAN RUNS WELL NON TOUCHSC
$27.00

Lot of (4) 1TB NVME SSD M.2 2280 Samsung Micron Used
$399.00