-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Cuddles
Ok,
In trying to find my own answers, I have concluded the following, from the above situation:
I should have mounted the /dev/hda device as r/w access, and performed a fixing fsck on the device. After, hopefully, a good fixing, and a successful fsck completion, rebooted.
But, I didn't - I just rebooted.
What I am guessing I should do is, shutdown, boot to the CD, give it cheatcodes to not use my swap, which is also on the "physical" /dev/hda device, to not use my home/root on the /dev/hda1 device, and after booting, perform a fsck on the /dev/hda device.
You would boot the CD and then check the filesystem assuming it is ext3 e2fsck /dev/hda1 you do not mount the partitions and knoppix will not by default mount the partitions the /swap is irrevalent you should not need to check it.
Looking through the fsck man pages, I am getting lost. I know I want to use the fix option, but do I want it to have "unlimited" fixing, (it suggests this is a bad thing), do I mount the device previous, or do I let fsck do that part?
I am in fear that the longer I keep my system up, after knowing about the fsck problem, I am only damaging the file system further, am I right?
Someone, [?]
Cuddles
You can just answer the questions one by one which the command I gave does there will most likely be a lot of them and you are going to want to answer yes to fixing the errors so the -y in the command may be what you want.
Similar Threads
-
By alvey in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 16
Last Post: 01-10-2007, 02:02 AM
-
By Ripshaft in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 09:32 PM
-
By FatBoy in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-15-2004, 01:56 AM
-
By ramu_i in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 08:26 AM
-
By suoko in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-27-2003, 10:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends
$149.00

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit
$44.99

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$69.00

Vintage IBM Syst 370 MST Boards Lot Of 5 Heavily Populated IBM 22 Alu Can Chips
$89.00

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold
$749.99

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE
$299.99

IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D
$219.99