PDA

View Full Version : How to disable Orca screen reader?

iki
02-03-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm proving Knoppix and I'm very satisfied with its swiftness and for having everything working ok. But I can`t disable the screen reader (when I click 'Orca' in the 'Accessories' panel nothing happens. This is the most important issue I'm having.
Two other things just to mention:
*I proved playing an .wmv video file from the hd and the resolution was much worse than when played in the installed ubuntu.
*I guess there's no option to set my keyboard to brazilian layout, or is there?
Thank you.

iki
02-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I googled it and found that I should type 'knoppix' at startup, but there's no startup. There's only the text menu and I tried to select 'shell' and type 'knoppix' but there's no such command. I'm no Linux expert if someone hasn't guessed already.

iki
02-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Actually there's a 'shell' option at the first screen but 'knoppix' returns 'command not found' while 'adriane' returns to the options prompt.

Danutz Nastase
02-05-2009, 01:05 AM
The shell is the solution. Enter in the shell and type startx and Knoppix will start without orca. If it doesn't work, you should try to install Knoppix on a USB flash device and uninstall orca, sbl and adriane through synaptic. Then you reboot, enter in the shell and type startx. It worked for me.

iki
02-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Thank you so much, Danutz Nastase, I'll try that. You see, now I'm using CrunchBang linux's live-cd and it's much swifter just because it hasn't Orca running (which is a remarkable tool for whoever needs it).

iki
02-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Yep, worked! Just choose 'shell' at the first screen and type 'startx'.