Thread: Installing Knoppix 3.3 (16. II 2004.) onto HDD in steps.

Installing Knoppix 3.3 (16. II 2004.) onto HDD in steps.

Hi to all. I need a help with installing Knoppix 3.3 (16. II 2004.) onto HDD. I have a realy good computer, but I do not want to install Knoppix onto it, so I decide to install it onto my old computer (IBM, Intel 440BX chipset, Intel Pentium II 450MHz, 256MB SDRAM PC-100, 6.4 GB HDD). The boot CD works well on this computer and everything works fine. Now, I want to install it onto HDD. Using Power Quest PartitionMagic 8.0 I partitioned HDD (5GB for Ext2 FS and ~1.4 GB for LinSwap partition) - as described in the manual. Then I boot comp from Knoppix CD with option Knoppix 2. I typed this in the cmd prompt:
    -----------------
    CD ..
    CD mnt
    mount hda1
    -----------------
    cp -a /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda1
    -----------------
    After ~30min coping has finished. After that (as described in the manual) I modified lilo.conf file (using command vi /mnt/hda1/etc/lilo.conf). I removed one line as described in the lilo.conf file and I put hda1 as boot device. I saved lilo.conf file. Then in the command prompt I typed this cmd:
    lilo -C /mnt/hda1/etc/lilo.conf
    and I recieved this message (something like this)
    Error: /boot/map~ :Read-only file system
    Whats wrong?
    If I done something wrong, please, write me how can I install this stuff in steps (pleeeeasseee, IN STEPS, 'cose I am a really beginner in Linux).

Thanx to all for a help,
    MPenza

Senior Member registered user
    Looks to me you're trying the poor man's install instead of the full install method. Have you tried opening a console window and used the following code to install knoppix to the computer:
    Code:
    sudo knoppix-installer
    That will install a full blown debian-like system assuming you choose debian install instead of knoppix install. Note, it's best to configure your system preferences, cheatcodes, etc first before installing knoppix, as that will transfer to the hard drive exactly as is, preferences and all.

Thanx Durand for your help. It works!... Of, course, it works well... Thanx again!

Senior Member registered user
    Glad you made it. Welcome aboard the Linux Train!

Similar Threads

1. What steps to take after boot fails?
    By adamherb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 09:29 PM
  2. Steps I took to configure Knoppix (Nvidia drivers and more)
    By yosef in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 03:25 AM
  3. Combing Steps
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 11:25 PM
  4. First steps away from the Bugger
    By Spinned Noob in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 04:41 AM
  5. Security. First Steps.