Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: it's got a good beat & you can dance to it...

Senior Member registered user
    Yes, now that your thread has been thoroughly hijacked, largely as a result of my own actions, I'm afraid, I should get back to your original point and tell you that the lake deal is very cool. I found a stock photo of Yosemite - can't remember where I found it - came with some software, but it happens to have a brook in the foreground, so I have this lake rippling out at the foot of El Capitan. Pretty cool for just a few minutes work.

One thing I did work with for a while is the link that appears when you click it. At first, it would just open in my browser, but without any navigation buttons, so I was just kind of stuck there. Then I tried the loopback you suggested, but it required two clicks - the first would freeze it, then the second would reload. Next, I tried creating my own html image from a photo, and inserting it as the link, but it didn't work that way. I've already overcome a number of obstacles on my own. Several times I was tempted to e-mail you for help, but I figured it out in most cases.

thanks

jd

Yes, I have seen that the rippling will stop with one click when the link is to a local file. I think it's a feature not a bug the rippling can be distracting and I would avail myself of that now and then. Glad you're having fun, that's the point of eye candy. And the other reason I got into Linux odd I can't have my deskie but with the resource drain KDE is, probably just as well.

I meant to ask you - do you have links to good basic tutorials on the GIMP? I've seen lots of episodes of Screen Savers where Bert Monroy showed how to use Photoshop, but despite numerous requests, they still don't show how to use the GIMP.

For me, I open it, and I have an array of "stuff" spread before me, with no clue on Earth what it is or how to use it. Right now, if I can't do it in MS Paint or MS Photo Editor, I just can't do it at all.

jd

jd, I think I had a link around somewhere and will look for it when I get home tonight. I am sure you could find something with a googling too of course. Now I do remember seeing something in kpackage as a pretty hefty doc for the gimp. One thing you want to keep in mind when you find a tutorial is that it is for the version you have. There are a few different distributed versions and the earlier one had a signficantly different (and IMHO better) layout. Also gif transparency is removed from official version of gimp due to the legal issue with gif.

And actually if you looked into some Photoshop tutorials it would help you with the Gimp. It is very similar kind of graphic app supporting layers, filters and the way the tools are laid out. That's the heart of these higher end graphics applications, they support layers and you have multiple tools, brushes, filters - learning to work with them is sort of universal as you work your way up the graphics ladder.

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    links to good basic tutorials on the GIMP
    Hi jd, have you visited the Gimp User Group,
    http://gug.sunsite.dk/
    and the tutorials section of that site ?
    It isnt a comprehensive 'good basic tutorial' that you ask for ( I never found one !) but it does give a lot of good hints and examples of how to use various diverse bits of the Gimp.

hth,
    I'm off for the weekend, be good, CUall later,
    Malcolm,
    PS., and dont go making a new version of Knoppix whilst I'm away ,, 490Mb and counting,,,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123