Thread: VERY basic and probably dumb question

VERY basic and probably dumb question

Today was my first time ever using Knoppix or even Linux. I downloaded it because I put an old HD in a new computer and the lame Windows folder privacy setting I had on most of my stuff was preventing me from getting to the data I wanted to recover. So I boot up Knoppix 3.6 with the 2.6 kernel but I realize pretty quick that I can't copy and paste the stuff I wanted to my new hard drive. I'm probably missing something obvious but I scanned all the FAQs and can't think of what to do. Can anyone help? I appreciate it and sorry for the n00bieness

Not so stupid

Simple first just Right click on the HD and you will see a line that says change settings to read/write click it a box will come back and asks do you really want to make your HardDrive writable say yes and have fun its all point and Click! Copy Paste whatever Beats XP.
    I have an even stupider Question.
    Why do so many pepole pay for XP?
    When they damage their XP they have to use Knoppix to fix it, and Knoppix is FREE? Strange world isnt it? If you stick with it a few days you'll find Knoppix is a lot more user friendly than windows also. So why do pepole buy Windows is the Goverment forcing us to buy it?

Thanks man. Sounds like a pretty easy solution, something I couldn't find with Windows. It'll probably sound cliche but its the damn monopoly Microsoft still has. People use Windows because they feel they have to. I personally felt pretty good using Knoppix and I think I'll probably be using it a lot more. Thanks again.

Re: Not so stupid

Quote Originally Posted by spaceinvader001

Why do so many people pay for XP?
    Can't say about "paying" for it, I don't know the answer to that but I can answer why people use it . . . Games.

That, and the advertising to the masses is better for the software that runs on Windows. [/i]

Alright I tried this and it told me to mount the drive before attempting to change the writability. So I just right clicked each drive and mounted it and tried again but got another error message. It said the remount failed, maybe another file system is using the partition. What should I do?

Re: Not so stupid

Quote Originally Posted by spaceinvader001
    Why do so many pepole pay for XP?
    When they damage their XP they have to use Knoppix to fix it, and Knoppix is FREE? Strange world isnt it? If you stick with it a few days you'll find Knoppix is a lot more user friendly than windows also. So why do pepole buy Windows is the Goverment forcing us to buy it?
    While I enjoy using Knoppix Linux, the vast majority of software is Windows exclusive (most prominantly game software, which is one thing that prevents me from using Linux exclusively). Like it or not, it's a Windows (and Mac) world. If Linux had much better support for games (yes, I have heard of transgaming, but it is stil far from perfect), I would switch immediately.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckBristow
    Alright I tried this and it told me to mount the drive before attempting to change the writability. So I just right clicked each drive and mounted it and tried again but got another error message. It said the remount failed, maybe another file system is using the partition. What should I do?
    Try restarting and trying it again.

Of course if the drive is formatted with NTFS you can't write to it withour useing captive ntfs