Thread: hda1 Mounting Trouble

hda1 Mounting Trouble

I am trying to get data from an internal HD that has a Debian install on it, but that has boot issues. I am pretty much a noob when it comes to linux administration. The box was compromised and at this point, I would be happy to get a couple of directories tar'd up and emailed to myself and then do a fresh install.

I created a Knoppix live CD from the 5.0.1 iso I downloaded and everything fired up the first time. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to mount the existing, internal, HDD. On my desktop I see the CD, Floppy, Knoppix icon and trash. However, there is nothing about hda1 there. I can browse hda (the partition is 1 in there) with testdisk, but when I try to mount it by making an entry into fstab and then mount it with something like mount /dev/hda1 /media/hd or hda1 (and creating a directory for hda1 in /media) it tells me the drive is mounted already or the mount point is busy.

I just tried the nofstab cheatcode and that didn't help as I got the same busy message.

I am sure I am about a half of a step away from making this work, I just can't seem to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Senior Member registered user

Re: hda1 Mounting Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by iamchachi
    I am trying to get data from an internal HD that has a Debian install on it, but that has boot issues. I am pretty much a noob when it comes to linux administration. The box was compromised and at this point, I would be happy to get a couple of directories tar'd up and emailed to myself and then do a fresh install.

I created a Knoppix live CD from the 5.0.1 iso I downloaded and everything fired up the first time. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to mount the existing, internal, HDD. On my desktop I see the CD, Floppy, Knoppix icon and trash. However, there is nothing about hda1 there. I can browse hda (the partition is 1 in there) with testdisk, but when I try to mount it by making an entry into fstab and then mount it with something like mount /dev/hda1 /media/hd or hda1 (and creating a directory for hda1 in /media) it tells me the drive is mounted already or the mount point is busy.

I just tried the nofstab cheatcode and that didn't help as I got the same busy message.

I am sure I am about a half of a step away from making this work, I just can't seem to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    When mounting manually, I usually suggest to mounting to a normal directory outside /media/ or /mnt/ because those might have some special system-settings. Also DO NOT modify fstab, that is not needed and just complicates things.

So try e.g. this:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /hda1
    sudo mount /dev/hda1 /hda1
    And then browse from /hda1 to see if the mounting was successfull.
    If this doesn't work, please post any errors you get.

malaire, thanks for the reply.

sudo mkdir /hda1 - no error
    sudo mount /dev/hda1 /hda1 - gives mount: /dev/hda1 already mounted or /hda1 busy

FYI, I can cd to /hda1, but nothing in there

Quote Originally Posted by malaire
    When mounting manually, I usually suggest to mounting to a normal directory outside /media/ or /mnt/ because those might have some special system-settings. Also DO NOT modify fstab, that is not needed and just complicates things.

So try e.g. this:
    Code:
    mkdir /hda1
    mount /dev/hda1 /hda1
    Sweet..... Worked sorta.... I can browse hda1 in the root console, but couldn't use the broswer. Would I have to be running as root user in the GUI. sry noob in this stuff.
    Bttw I'm running Knoppix Live CD and I only set the root pass.

Thanks I feel S-M-R-T!

Senior Member registered user

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Quote Originally Posted by malaire

So try e.g. this:
    Code:
    mkdir /hda1
    mount /dev/hda1 /hda1
    Sweet..... Worked sorta.... I can browse hda1 in the root console, but couldn't use the broswer. Would I have to be running as root user in the GUI. sry noob in this stuff.
    Bttw I'm running Knoppix Live CD and I only set the root pass.

Thanks I feel S-M-R-T!
    After mounting, you could try chmod 0777 /hda1 from root-console and then try to browse it again.
    Someone said in another message that this helps (at least in some cases).
    (I don't really understand all the different permission-problems which can happen when mounting.)

An alternative would be to start e.g. Konqueror as root-user, e.g. with konqueror --profile filemanagement from root-console. This gives quite many errors for me, but seems to work. I don't know if those errors are significant or not.