Thread: Resolution on Toshiba Laptop

Resolution on Toshiba Laptop

I am having some extreme trouble. I am trying to get some version of Linux woking on a Toshiba Portege 7020CT, with a 366Mhz Processor, something like 200 megs of ram, and a 6 gig hard drive. I am somewhat new to Linux, having used Ubuntu for about 6 months now, and wanted something lighter and easier for this laptop. It originally had windows on it, but since I hate windows...well...

I finally managed to find and install Knoppix on this laptop, which is just a secondary for entertainment purposes. I followed the directions I found on a website I can't remember, and installed the OS to the hard drive. The problem I am having is with the screen resolution. The only resolution that I am being offered is 640x480. Now, under windows, I was up to 1024x768, which would suit me just fine. I have the docking station for this laptop, which has a DVD player in it, which also worked fine under windows. Now, what is weird is that last night, I tried to boot off the cd, instead of the installed OS (Knoppix) on the hard drive. During the boot up process, it said it was going to use the following resolutions: 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480. When I got to the desktop, the only one allowed to me was 640x480. I left the computer on overnight, and in the morning, it was at 1024x768. I had done NOTHING, and now it was set at what I wanted. However, after rebooting, to see if I could always have that resolution, I was, and am, back to 640x480. I KNOW this computer can handle higher resolutions, but no matter what I try, I can't get there. I have booted off the CD, no luck. I have installed Knoppix to the HD, and same results.

Any help would be so appreciated. I just want to be able to use this machine to play .avi's, actually, so I am not needing much here.

Also, I am new to this OS, and these forums, so if this has been posted, I do apologize; feel free to direct/point/flame.

Member registered user

Try booting with fb1024x768

Try booting with the frame buffer option fb1024x768

or I've seen screen1024x768

Similar Threads

1. Printing from a Toshiba Satellite laptop
    By geovino in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2005, 07:54 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 06:32 PM
  3. Replies: 8