Thread: Desktop gets black and Programs closes automatically

Desktop gets black and Programs closes automatically

Hi to all

I have downloaded and made usb bootable flash of knoppix 5.1 from instruction on http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01...b-knoppix-510/

The problem which I am facing is that the desktop gets black. Some times programs like browser or openoffice closes automatically in the mid of my work. Is my installation file on flash corrupted or this problem is usual in knoppix?
    Should I make a fresh download? If yes then help me out in finding the link to download the USB bootable knoppix.

Thanks in advance.

Faisal

No Reply on why programs closes automatically......

Well I think nobody is going to reply.....

Senior Member registered user

Re: Desktop gets black and Programs closes automatically

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal
    Hi to all

I have downloaded and made usb bootable flash of knoppix 5.1 from instruction on http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01...b-knoppix-510/

The problem which I am facing is that the desktop gets black. Some times programs like browser or openoffice closes automatically in the mid of my work. Is my installation file on flash corrupted or this problem is usual in knoppix?
    Should I make a fresh download? If yes then help me out in finding the link to download the USB bootable knoppix.
    If you have the knoppix 5.1.1 burned on the CD, and you can boot up Knoppix from that CD with no problem, then you do not need to download anything.

Test it with the cd boot up first, if the problem exist then I would recommend you to use another x-window manager. Check out the cheat-code while it boots up. (press F2 and F3 while the Boot prompt appear)

If the problem only happens while you boot up the knoppix from the flash drive, then it might be something went wrong when you created the USB drive.

I found the link you mentioned will only work if your machine BIOS can recognized standard USB boot device. Which is not usually the case. Most motherboard BIOS are not able to do so.

I would recommend you to check out the following site:

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key

It teaches you to create an USB boot drive by initializing your USB drive as the USB ZIP drive which most BIOS can recognized and can be boot from.

So far I tried it on a 2GB USB drive and a 4GB USB drive and it works perfectly.

Rgds,
    Chip

Thanks Chip

Thanks Chip for a reply. I have downlaoded the latest DVD iso. And it is working fine with no problems. I have not tried bootable usb yet but still it is ok.