Thread: I think I have a unique problem

I think I have a unique problem

I am really new knoppix, however, I've had 4.0 for some time now but only played with it a few times. I have a computer that I think got a virus and I'm trying to get the files off of it so I can reinstall in windows because I can't even get into windows through safe mode. I got the blue screen of death.
    I have a dell dimension 2310.

Now to the problem. I ran knoppix 4.0 and can see and access the HD. I can see all the files, however when I try to write them to a usb flash drive it won't allow me to do so. It says I don't have permissions. I changed the permissions in the properties menu on the desktop icon but still would not let me do so. So after doing a little research I discovered that there was a newer version of Knoppix that may be able to help, Version 6.2. I tested it on my laptop and wow it worked like a charm and an awesome GUI.

So, I go and put it into the problem computer thinking everything is going to go smooth and wam, I can sure copy and paste to the usb drive now but I can't access the partition of the HD that has the files I need. I can access other partitions but get the error
    "Error <i>org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailur e</i>" When I try to access the main partition. I tried some of the remedies for this on the forums but got no where.

If you can help me get the files off either in 4.0 or 6.2 which ever remedy works first I'll take it. Thank you for any help I can get.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by undercrasher View Post
    I am really new knoppix, however, I've had 4.0 for some time now but only played with it a few times. I have a computer that I think got a virus and I'm trying to get the files off of it so I can reinstall in windows because I can't even get into windows through safe mode. I got the blue screen of death.
    I have a dell dimension 2310.

Now to the problem. I ran knoppix 4.0 and can see and access the HD. I can see all the files, however when I try to write them to a usb flash drive it won't allow me to do so. It says I don't have permissions. I changed the permissions in the properties menu on the desktop icon but still would not let me do so. So after doing a little research I discovered that there was a newer version of Knoppix that may be able to help, Version 6.2. I tested it on my laptop and wow it worked like a charm and an awesome GUI.

So, I go and put it into the problem computer thinking everything is going to go smooth and wam, I can sure copy and paste to the usb drive now but I can't access the partition of the HD that has the files I need. I can access other partitions but get the error
    "Error <i>org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailur e</i>" When I try to access the main partition. I tried some of the remedies for this on the forums but got no where.

If you can help me get the files off either in 4.0 or 6.2 which ever remedy works first I'll take it. Thank you for any help I can get.
    Sounds like you need a fix for the HD issue, not a "Knoppix fix". I recommend "Hiren's BootCD" - just Google that and look around for a fast download server. I found one in Thailand once that got me out of a problem with NTFS that Knoppix couldn't read.

Cheers!
    Krishna