Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with dsl on verizon.....

help with dsl on verizon.....

Ok, I am trying to connect to the internet via my verizon dsl connection. The NIC I'm using is a HP Ethernet 10/100. This is the info "Details" from my Verizon connection on Win XP dialog:

"Device Name: WAN miniport (PPPOE)
    Device Type: PPPOE
    Server type: PPP
    Transports: TCP/IP
    Authentication: PAP
    Compression: None
    PPP multlink framing: Off
    Server IP Address: 10.19.1.1
    Client IP Address: 64.222.102.xxx"

can someone help me connect to the internet? I'm currently launching knoppix from a burned cd i downloaded yesterday. I am using a WESTELL WIRESPEED Dual (supports USB + NIC). I have tried the auto dsl/pppoe on knoppix and it says i was connected but when i was trying to get the status of the connection it didn't show no ip address or anything the pings didn't get anything. trying to load any sites got nothing. can someone help me out?

Junior Member registered user
    Hmm---I'm using Verizon DSL at home with the same hardware. However, I bought a router and setup a LAN, which I would highly recommend anyone on broadband do. The router adds a layer of protection in addition to your software based firewall if you are running one under M$ software.

If nothing else I'll try playing with Knoppix and my PC hooked directly up to the DSL modem in a day or so and give you some feedback.

ok, thanks...

Re: help with dsl on verizon.....

I just got verizon a few weeks back as well, and just now am trying out linux (cuz I can actually download ISO's now
    Anyway... have either of you tried it WITHOUT PPPoe? Im in Los Angeles area, and its not needed here. Set it up as DHCP and it works like a charm. (Thank you verizon!)

I ran straight through the modem the first day, to get it up and running.

Since then I've been running through a NetGear router I got at BestBuy for $19.99 (after rebate, CompUSA had same deal). It was going to cost me $12 just to get another net card to run MS Net sharing.

I highly reccomend the router. They are getting dirt cheap if you watch for them.

The first day that I was connected via DSL (modem only) I was getting regular inbound probes from the net showing up in ZoneAlarm. Since I've put the router on, NONE... Zilch, nada. The only inbound connections I see are when home windows machines boot up (looking for shares?). So its well worth the $20.

RE: getting it to work with Knoppix CD. I had to had configure my card (manually via script, since its old ISA), once I got that figured out, it was as simple as typing 'netcardconfig' and hitting enter, when it prompts you to use DHCP.

To see if your network card is actually getting detected, Figure out the IRQ / IO its configured to use in windows ( control panel:system:my computerroperties works for me) Then next time you boot to Knoppix open a Root shell (K menu:KNOPPIX:Root Shell) and enter the following:
    Code:
    procinfo -f
    If you see your netcard and its IRQ showing up, the card is detected, just not loading right, from what I understand. Depending on your net card, you'll have to ask someone else here which module you need to load. Im using an NE2000 LinkSys 10Mbps card, so for me I use the following command:
    Code:
    modprobe ne io=0x300
    where ne is short for ne.o (the NE2000 module), and the IO address... specified with preceding 0x. It sets the card up in a flash.

Then:
    Code:
    netcardconfig
    It prompts 'Use DHCP?" or something similar, with YES as the default, so you just hit enter, and tada... verizon works.
    Once you know the right module, its that easy.

If you want more info on how I set this up automated, via a Persistent home... ask.

Luck to ya,
    Brad

thanks, i'll try that out.

Ok--I unhooked my router and just plugged straight into my NIC. It recognized the DHCP from Verizon with no problems at all.

Interestingly, although not related to Knoppix, I also use dynamic DNS to run a home websever. I have had the same IP address through Verizon for up to 18 days before. Of course, that may be due to the fact that very few people in my region have broadband.

i tried the above tips but all i get is the dsl modem blinking but can't seen to be able to ping or even load a page. can anyone help?

I also am having trouble connecting to the internet when i boot knoppix ,funny thing is i sucsessfully connected once, and was able to telnet and all of the above but while i was in the "Kan" my idiot freind saw the os operating just fine and got scared of it's awsome capabilities and could not find kazaa in wich he proceded to reboot the system taking the knoppix disc out and starting xp back up again by the time i was out of the mess hole and was concious to what he had done i blamed myself for not writing down what i had done to connect and the next couple times i attempted to connect i failed misserably p.s thank you idiot freind oh and by the way my freinds nick name is caveman. suits him well might i add.

Re: help with dsl on verizon.....

Has anyone had any success in getting Verizon DSL working with Knoppix ? I also have Verizon DSL ( New York City location ) and tried Knoppix yesterday for the first time. This linux distribution is great.... I only wish I could get my DSL connection working.

I'm using a Westel WireSpeed DSL modem connected directly to a NetGear Model FA311 10/100 Mbps PCI Ethernet Network Card provided by Verizon.

I used the DSL configuration tool... The program says I'm connected, but but nothing happens...

I am new to linux.... and a first time Knoppix user....

Tommy

Senior Member registered user
    Is the westell's ready light flashing or solid?

-VerizonESG DSL support tech for NE US area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast