Thread: Setting Up Win XP Network and Use ICS

Setting Up Win XP Network and Use ICS

I am a complete linux newbie and i am running Knoppix off the cd.
    I have 3 pc's all connected via a hub.
    I would like to know how to setup the network on knoppix on 1 of my computers and how to make it work with ICS with xp with the knoppix computer connecting through another computer to the internet
    I run the default settings for ics that you get from the network setup wizard.(DHCP server etc.)
    I run a PPPOE internet connection.(Aol Broadband in the UK bypassing the software)

I would some to explain how to do this in a very simple way to me
    Thanks
    Stuart

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: Setting Up Win XP Network and Use ICS

Quote Originally Posted by snmacd
    I have 3 pc's all connected via a hub.
    I would like to know how to setup the network on knoppix on 1 of my computers and how to make it work with ICS with xp with the knoppix computer connecting through another computer to the internet...
    I run a PPPOE internet connection.(Aol Broadband in the UK bypassing the software)...
    There have been some other threads here that discuss ICS, you might want to read them. I've never used ICS, so don't feel comfortable saying if it will work or not (there seem to be 2 different answers to that question). I hope someone who has done it can give you a better answer. But since you are using a broadband connection, I would like to suggest a different solution. It will cost a few bucks but not much, and I think you will be much happier in the end: Use a small Internet router. These devices are now amazingly inexpensive (often $10 US or less here afer rebate for the wired versions), and will give you a lot of utility and protection, as well as avoiding issues of Knoppix trying to get to the Internet through XP.

Personally even if I was using only one computer on a broadband connection I would buy one (I did a few years ago when I got one "on sale" for $100). Not that you shouldn't be able to do this with your current hardware and configuring XP properly, but some others who have tried it are reporting problems. Even if you get it working, consider adding an Internet router and bypassing ICS completely.

Senior Member registered user
    So, you have one machine running XP connected to the broadband and running ICS on a second port and then this is connected to a hub?

Maybe I don't understand, but if you boot knoppix on a machine connected to a LAN with a server that supports DCHP, knoppix will just simply work, no settings need to be changed.

This is how I first experimented with knoppix (before dumping W98SE):-

internet - cable modem - USB port on [PC running W98SE and ICS] from ethernet port - crossed ethernet cable - PC running knoppix

Does that make sense?

Cheers, Stu.....

Thanks
    Stuart

Junior Member registered user
    Following along too, I have my XP network set up & a spare PC sat on the network, ready to try & connect via XP ICS - problem though, message similar to 'not enough memory to start kde, needs at least 82M'. Got 64Meg. Is there a way round this so I can try testing the actual browser on the CD? or should I just have done with it & go buy memory tomorrow.

Tried 'ping' on a whim in the text shell that came up, getting responses from what seems to be the XP ICS machine - it won't stop pinging though!

Erm..

I want to ping something different! Stop! STOP!

Ok.. I can't believe that just worked.

Low on memory for kde so I just fdisked the hard drive, and formatted it as primary dos partition C: , knoppix picked up on it fine and set up a swapfile on it. kde came up fine. Konqueror came up fine. Google came up fine in Konqueror. Then I came here. All via the XP machine's ICS connection. I've hardly touched a key.

Thanks for this thread guys. I've been a bit scared of Linux ever since I tried Slackware 96.. this is seriously helping me get over my phobia!!!!

turned out to be ping [IP] [ -c count]

guess I'm too used to Microsoft holding my hand on the command line

homer, try using the cheatcode knoppix desktop=icewm when the boot: comes up the = might have moved some due to the us kemap in startup phase (for me it is the key with ').
    Icewm is MUCH lighter on resourses than KDE. it would work better for you i think.

Thanks for that.. didn't ask for a swapfile this time, & icewm kinda feels a little more familiar to me, coming from a MS Windows background. So this is Mozilla, eh!

The = was right where it should have been, I did change from US to UK last session in kde though. Womnder how it remembered that..

Bit of a learning curve ahead. Should be fun. Guess this is going off topic for the networking section anyway though..

us and uk have verry similar layouts
    the lerning curve will bee steep. but after a few weeks just a few things wil be troublesome. mostly having to mount/unmount cd's, floppies... but i have found that there is no limit to where lerning stops i gnu-linux.
    you can learn just enough to do daily tasks or everything to the tiniest detail. all the documentation is there.
    I have done 3 lfs (linux from scratch) using knoppix as "mother" distribution, ok first was a 3day project but i got knowlege i could not get in any other way.
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    enjoy your linux OE