Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: News- Knoppix 5.0

Member registered user
    Same here, I don't mind waiting, simply because each release is better than the next. Klaus Knopper is doing some great work in building Knoppix and actually inspired me in building my own iso's. 4.02 is an excellent distro, it does what I want and I'm pretty sure that 5 will be just as good or pherhaps even better. Like allready said, I'm also looking forward to the NTFS stuff in there.

Personally,.... it will be done when it is done Keep up the good work, Heck I'm loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    I'd rather have fewer bugs and a better release version, than to just have something that was slapped together in haste to meet a deadline. Main reason we are here rather than salivating over the next buggy release from Micro$oft. Give the man some time and don't complain if it's not costing you anything. I know I couldn't do it, so I'm glad someone is willing to spend the time to do it right and let some of these rude comments roll off his back too. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. If not, there is the next version.

Junior Member registered user
    just got my 5.0 dvd in and booted it........WOW! so far works like a charm and had detected everything including the web cam. looks like a work of art from this early test run. it did boot kind of slow, but who cares? the reward after booting is so good!

torp

Member registered user
    http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanot...-CeBIT-RC3.iso

+

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/b...DELTA?download

xdelta patch PATCH.PROMETEUS-ML.XDELTA KANOTIX-2006-CeBIT-RC3.iso

=

Junior Member registered user
    is that the default kicker in knoppix 5? can i download it and use it on my knoppix 4.0.2?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometeus
    xdelta patch PATCH.PROMETEUS-ML.XDELTA KANOTIX-2006-CeBIT-RC3.iso
    Thank you Prometeus! I applied that patch and installed the CD to my hard disk. Super Karamba looks very cute!

-tapsa-

Knoppix DVD 5.0.1

Actually there will be a Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD (and CD set) coming out Whenever It Is Ready (tm). This will be an updated Knoppix 5.0 and I would in fact recommend waiting for this release, since a number of small bugs should be fixed. Knoppix 5.0 is great already but 5.0.1 should be nearly perfect.

Knoppix Support

Perhaps Klaus should create a Knoppix support group where members join by paying $30/year and the members get the benefit of getting the new release two weeks earlier than everyone else. Klaus gets the benefit of getting some payment for his hard work.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Klaus does make a profit from the special releases he commisions like The Linux TAG release. With so many supposedly devoted Knoppix fans eager to make unofficial releases of versions like this that Klaus has not chosen to distribute to the Internet yet, I don't see that there would be much point in selling limited access to an Internet download; as it would only server to promote a lot of unofficial torrents, news group postings and other distribution in the days before an official release. Better to have the official torrent go up (and the mirrors for those who can't use BitTorrent because of a firewall they don't control or are unwilling to learn how to use BitTorrent) than to have lots of unorganized activity just before an official release.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Senior Member registered user
    So Harry,
    You are saying that because I posted a torrent of 5.0 that boots in English Klaus decided to wait to release 5.01. as like a punishment. Have you been in contact with Klaus? Did he indicate to you that he was offended? Or is this just your opinion of why the latest version has not been released yet. It was my understanding that the money that I spent for the pressed dvd was just to cover the cost of publishing.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by nvgringo
    So Harry,
    You are saying that because I posted a torrent of 5.0 that boots in English Klaus decided to wait to release 5.01. as like a punishment. Have you been in contact with Klaus? Did he indicate to you that he was offended? Or is this just your opinion of why the latest version has not been released yet. It was my understanding that the money that I spent for the pressed dvd was just to cover the cost of publishing.
    I have not been in contact with Klaus, I do not speak for him or for this site, I speak only my own opnion.

I don't know if Klaus is offended. But I certainly know that if he wanted the 5.0.0 release available on the Internet that he could have posted the ISO to the official mirrors and the BitTorrent tracker himself. I take it that he chose not to and to have us wait "until it's ready" as an indication that he does doesn't think it should be posted.

I did not say what you claim that I have said. But now that you have said it, yes, it certainly could be an accurate reflection of what has happened. Could the many unofficial posts have caused Klaus to wait for the 5.0.1 release? Maybe, and it sure doesn't seem like they have had a positive effect in speeding up the release.

What I was saying is that since people will clearly post whatever they get their hands on, the idea of delaying the official Internet release yet more weeks after it "is ready" for those who don't subscribe seems foolish and something Klaus isn't likely to do.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast