Hi again!

After downloading a Knoppix CD and doing the knx-hdinstall (the story so far: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=741) I have a nice working copy of Debian Testing running on my machine.

The KDE3.0.4 that came with Knoppix3.1 is eating my system resources alive. With nothing running besides KMix, I've only got about 50MB of my 512MB DDR-RAM free. The system is responsive enough until I try to do some heavy multitasking (ie GAIM, XMMS, Konquerer file browser, Konsole, and 3-4 instances of Mozilla) and then the latency becomes kind of noticable.

I've been seeing alot of positive comments regarding KDE3.1, especially about its increased speed and more efficient memory usage, and I'm eager to try it out. Unfortunately, as we all know, doing an apt-get won't get you the latest KDE because of strange file dependancy issues with some of the "testing" programs included with Knoppix.

Now here's my questions for all you Linux gurus: Is it worth my reinstalling with a pure copy of Debian Stable instead of Knoppix in order to get KDE3.1? What would be the disadvantages of doing this?

I've also found that only a couple of MB of my 1GB swap partition is ever in use. Would I be better off resizing the swap to something like 256MB or even 128MB? It seems to me that if I just doubled my physical memory (for a total of 1GB DDR-RAM) the system would NEVER use the swap.

Thanks in advance,
Willis