Thread: kppp, the internet and group membership

kppp, the internet and group membership

what an awfully nice new toy this knoppix/debian is! It's definitively entering my top 10 of favorite passtimes with my clothes on.....however as with undressing there always remain questions the first few times, and this is the first in a probably growing list of questions I'd like to post:

I found out that KPPP only can be accessed when I run the system as a normal user when I have checked the user to be a member of a group. As I do not know from what group one derives the right to access KPPP, for the time being I have checked all groups one can be a member of as a user. As I gather it does not really make sence to have a user to be listed as member of all groups the question is: which group has to be checked to be able to access KPPP? (or what man should I read?)

And talking about the internet:
    I find it a little bit annoying to have to first click on the kppp for the internet connection before I can acces the internet with either an email programm or a browser. However neither in a browser (whether Mozilla or Konqueror) nor in an email programm did I find any button that enables me to have an automatic connection started to get into the internet. Surely there must be a way to just start either an email programm or browser and have it configured so that the KPPP starts automatically? (or again: which man should I read?)

Senior Member registered user
    You can set kppp to auto launch your browser or other program on connect; but I don't know how to do it the other way around.

Senior Member registered user

Re: kppp, the internet and group membership

Quote Originally Posted by fiets
    which group has to be checked to be able to access KPPP? (or what man should I read?)
    group is 'dip' .You can also do this as root: chmod u+s kppp,chmod u+s ppp,chmod u+s pppd. This will enable users to open kppp.

You can set kppp to auto launch your browser or other program on connect; but I don't know how to do it the other way around.
    yeah, i know, what i liked about e.g. Pegasus is that you can configure the programm to (down)load mails and close the connection to the internet automatically. Too bad, will have to live with it.

bongski55 wrote:
    group is 'dip' .You can also do this as root: chmod u+s kppp,chmod u+s ppp,chmod u+s pppd. This will enable users to open kppp.
    thanks, that helps. I still wonder though, which man page should i have consulted to find that out?