PDA

View Full Version : trouble remastering: "No suitable X-Server"



oded
06-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to learn to remaster Knoppix and I'm having some trouble..
I follow the steps from: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto

it looks as if it works and it creates the iso without indicating any errors.
but whether I remove packages or not, when I burn the iso and boot from the new CD ( or try to boot the iso from the hard-disk using the bootfrom cheat-code ) it gets stuck at the grey X screen. when pressing ctl-alt-backspace I see this:
Starting X11.../etc/init.d/xsession: line 202: 440 Bus error
Display=:0 xloadimage -onroot -fullscreen -shrink -smooth -border black -quiet $BACKGROUND >/dev/null 2>&1

this error is repeated about 20 times with only the 440 replaced by other numbers: 451, 455 etc ( forgive me if there is a typo in the error as I could not copy and paste )
after that it sais: Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card.

the orginal Knoppix CD works ok on my machine, I only get this when I try to remaster.

Any help will be appriciated,

Thanks,

Oded.

CrashedAgain
06-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to learn to remaster Knoppix and I'm having some trouble..
I follow the steps from: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto

it looks as if it works and it creates the iso without indicating any errors.
but whether I remove packages or not, when I burn the iso and boot from the new CD ( or try to boot the iso from the hard-disk using the bootfrom cheat-code ) it gets stuck at the grey X screen. when pressing ctl-alt-backspace I see this:
Starting X11.../etc/init.d/xsession: line 202: 440 Bus error
Display=:0 xloadimage -onroot -fullscreen -shrink -smooth -border black -quiet $BACKGROUND >/dev/null 2>&1

this error is repeated about 20 times with only the 440 replaced by other numbers: 451, 455 etc ( forgive me if there is a typo in the error as I could not copy and paste )
after that it sais: Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card.

the orginal Knoppix CD works ok on my machine, I only get this when I try to remaster.

Any help will be appriciated,

Thanks,

Oded.
It sounds like your XF86Config is not setting up properly. Try booting your remaster 'knoppix 2' then delete /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 then run 'mkxf86config' which should make a new XF86Config-4.
Before you burn your remaster you have to delete XF86Config-4, mkxf86config will not make one if there is existing.

oded
06-15-2004, 12:13 PM
It works.

Thanks,

Oded.

oded
06-16-2004, 09:12 AM
hmm,

booting with knoppix 2, and deleting XF86Config-4 enabled to boot my remastred cd, however now that I wanted to make a new one I see that this file does not exist in the source directory for the remaster! Which means that it is created while the CD boot's.

How can I fix that?

Thanks,

Oded.

CrashedAgain
06-23-2004, 03:40 PM
hmm,

booting with knoppix 2, and deleting XF86Config-4 enabled to boot my remastred cd, however now that I wanted to make a new one I see that this file does not exist in the source directory for the remaster! Which means that it is created while the CD boot's.

How can I fix that?

Thanks,

Oded.

This should be OK. You should have a XF86Config-4.in which is the 'master' but I think the 45xsession script is able to create a XF86Config-4 even without the 'master'.