View Full Version : Booting a remastered environment without compression
metzelplik
08-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Hello,
I am fairly new to KNOPPIX, but understand the remastering thing to a degree. I am building a speciailized verion for speed. I have minimized the uncompressed OS down to ~300MB. I want to know if I can build the ISO image without compressing it. Reason being is that I want SPEED for the system to boot and for all apps loading when needed. Can anyone tell me how to setup the system for booting without forcing me to compress the entire file system into the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX image file?
Thanks and much apprecaite,
Metzelplik
kelmo
08-24-2004, 01:42 PM
I think it is faster to access files from the compressed loopback device . . .
metzelplik
08-24-2004, 02:54 PM
How is it possible that the loopback device is loaded faster? With networking, it is possible to compress data, and increase the throughput from system to system, but with file IO, I am not sure if the same applies. Everything being performed is within the loopback during boot, until the RAMDISK is created. So, I believe it would be slower up to this point.
Let's assume the compression with loopback is the faster method... then let's consider this little exercise strictly acedemic..
Thanks,
Metzelplik
metzelplik
08-24-2004, 02:54 PM
How is it possible that the loopback device is loaded faster? With networking, it is possible to compress data, and increase the throughput from system to system, but with file IO, I am not sure if the same applies. Everything being performed is within the loopback during boot, until the RAMDISK is created. So, I believe it would be slower up to this point.
Let's assume the compression with loopback is the faster method... then let's consider this little exercise strictly acedemic..
Thanks,
Metzelplik
metzelplik
08-24-2004, 02:54 PM
How is it possible that the loopback device is loaded faster? With networking, it is possible to compress data, and increase the throughput from system to system, but with file IO, I am not sure if the same applies. Everything being performed is within the loopback during boot, until the RAMDISK is created. So, I believe it would be slower up to this point.
Let's assume the compression with loopback is the faster method... then let's consider this little exercise strictly acedemic..
Thanks,
Metzelplik
Ghandalfar
08-24-2004, 05:29 PM
because your bottlneck is I/O and not cpu. Having to read less gives you better speeds.
metzelplik
08-25-2004, 06:54 PM
OK, let's assume that I want to use this method for determining ALL NECESSARY files on the system when it is booting. This will allow me to look at the files which are used accessed. This way, I can create a list of all files accessed on the date/time it is booted (yes I know I will have to load it read/write).... then, I can create a minimal system (for security) around the application I am building a customized CD..
Thank you in advance for any help.
Metzelplik
Ghandalfar
08-25-2004, 09:58 PM
morphix supports booting from uncompressed isos. You may want to look into it's modified knoppix code and use that
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.