View Full Version : User settings not transferring
bigjnsa
09-09-2004, 09:42 PM
I am at my wits end here guys. I have a custom Knoppix, with all my user settings and changes in /home/knoppix. I move this directory to /etc/skel and chown -R root.root, then rm -rf /home/knoppix. Then roll the image and ISO. For the life of me, /etc/skel is NOT BEING COPIED OR MOVED TO /home/knoppix. I don't know what else to do.
Any ideas?
UnderScore
09-10-2004, 12:00 AM
-- This post is from my memory and I could be very wrong about this --
Check the script at /etc/X11/Xession.d/45*. You will find lines like
rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/{.somefilename,somedirectory,.anotherdirectory} $HOME
It is the third (i could be wrong) rsync line which is used to populate the /home/knoppix directory. If your changes were saved in a file not listed in that {somefilename,somedirectoryt,anotherdirectory} then obviously it will no copy them. I solved this problem 2 ways. The first was to get a updated list of my /home/knoppix folder's contents and then format the listing appropriately
ls -1a /home/knoppix | tr '\n' ',' and then I dropped it between the { } of the rsync script. This worked most of the time. A easier way is to remove the {somefilename,blah,blah,blah} and use
rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/ $HOME
I hope this helps
James
bigjnsa
09-10-2004, 04:07 PM
UnderScore,
Dude, I owe you a Guiness! Thanks and your memory was correct, it was exactly like that. I'm rerolling the image now. It'll take my about 20 minutes before I know if that worked.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.