PDA

View Full Version : Howto install kernel after ISO HDD install?



riscbroker
07-01-2005, 07:56 PM
I've installed Knoppix 3.8.1 to HDD from a downloaded ISO. My modem is an unsupported winmodem, so I must install drivers for it. There is no apparently no kernel image on the ISO.
I must have an installed kernel to install drivers for the modem.

So. I have downloaded kernel-source 2.6.11 and installed with Kpackage. Kpackage reports that the install is succesful. When I try to confirm the install with KDE Control Centre, I get the report "the kernel configuration could not be read due to the following error: No hardware architecture was specified! Perhaps the kernel source code is not installed on this system or the path to the kernel source is entered incorrectly."

If I try to install the modem drivers Kpackage reports "missing or unconfigured kernel source tree" etc etc

Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks
Paul

UnderScore
07-01-2005, 08:15 PM
I've installed Knoppix 3.8.1 to HDD from a downloaded ISO. My modem is an unsupported winmodem, so I must install drivers for it. There is no apparently no kernel image on the ISO.
I must have an installed kernel to install drivers for the modem.

So. I have downloaded kernel-source 2.6.11 and installed with Kpackage. Kpackage reports that the install is succesful. When I try to confirm the install with KDE Control Centre, I get the report "the kernel configuration could not be read due to the following error: No hardware architecture was specified! Perhaps the kernel source code is not installed on this system or the path to the kernel source is entered incorrectly."

If I try to install the modem drivers Kpackage reports "missing or unconfigured kernel source tree" etc etc

Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks
PaulYour request for assistance has been posted to the wrong forum. This forum is for creating custom Knoppix CDs & not for Debian or HD install problems which are to be posted to Hdd Install / Debian / Apt forum. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=5). Please see http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16574

As for acessing the source code & compiling a new kernel, I have not & would not use the KDE Control Centre to do that. Please read the following links to get a better idea of how add drivers by compiling a kernel.
http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/debian_kernel2.6_compile/
http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=335